Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy St. Patrick's Day

Anyone else Irish? Other than Christmas and our birthday, St. Patrick's Day was the best holiday in our house when I was growing up! Now that we have kids...well it's not the same but maybe when they grow a bit we can be a bit more festive.

We will have an "Irish feast" tonight at my parents' house with the only music being Irish...
    My mom will talk in her fake accent (it's pretty good but more funny than anything else) and maybe my dad will dance a gig?

PS Oh and March Maddness begins today too! What a good day!

Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

We grew up having every meal PURE green on St. Patrick's day. Since DH left at 4:45 this morning, and I was in the middle of nursing when he left, I didn't attempt any "green eggs and ham", but you bet he will get a GREEN dinner tonight. That's about as Irish as we get around here...

Jen B.

Comment

I'm Irish- and the dinner tonight at mom's will be corned beef and cabbage and her homemade Irish Soda Bread. Yummy. We will no doubt quaff some Irish beer of some sort.

Jenn

Comment

I'm part Irish--three-eighths, if I remember right. I have to ask my parents again (and write it down this time!).

I grew up having the corned beef and cabbage every St. Patrick's Day (though I guess it turns out that's more of an Irish-American thing than an actual Irish thing) and my Mom would decorate the house and we'd always wear something green to school.

The first year FH and I lived together I wanted to do the corned beef and cabbage but that came to a crashing halt when FH informed me he hates corned beef. So the past couple of years we've just done nothing for the holiday.

So last night we were talking about it and I said I really miss St. Patrick's Day and that people who hate corned beef and cabbage suck. (Slight exaggertion on that last part.) He was understandably surprised and we agreed that we were too wiped out to pull together anything this year, but starting next year we would be a household that celebrates St. Patrick's Day and we would come up with some mutually agreed-upon Irish meal to mark the occasion. Maybe I'll learn to make colcannon. With blighted potatoes.
        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Is it already St. Patrick's Day? Man....March is sure going by fast. That explains why my daughter wore all green to school today. Remind me to go and invest in a calendar!

Happy st. pats day!

kris
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Not Irish here but you can be sure I'll use this as a reason to make Soda Bread.
            Oh, I should use the green guy:

Comment

Part Irish here--but I look it. Red hair and freckles head to toe. I have been getting St. Patrick's Day greetings all day. I'm feeling guilty for not going down to the parade......

I am making a festive dinner, but no corned beef. I did make green cupcakes for the kids. Yeah, for the kids.......that's right.....
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Apparently I have a little Irish on my mom's side, but I don't know how much. We are all wearing green today, but that's about as festive as we'll probably get. Oh yeah, I have a shamrock tatoo (don't ask me why I got that), so I guess I'm a little extra festive.
                Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Originally posted by goofy
                  I am making a festive dinner, but no corned beef. I did make green cupcakes for the kids. Yeah, for the kids.......that's right.....

I've been convincing myself of how much my daughter would enjoy making shamrock cookies. It's all about the kids, right?

Comment

I'm not Irish at all, but DH is very Irish. His family goes all out. We literally get as many St. Patricks Day cards as Christmas cards. Saturday is the traditional feast. Its a blast, I'm really looking forward to it.

And I'm looking forward to March Maddness. I spent a lot of time on my bracket this year, another thing I never did before I met DH!

Comment

DH's whole side is mainly Irish....hence our daughter's name--Keelin Dureen....however, she only had a speck of green on today The other kids were decked out in her little class. Oh well...Happy St Pat's day!

Comment

Working...
                      X