Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

unabashed cry for lawyer advice (over real-estate)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unabashed cry for lawyer advice (over real-estate)

I have a VERY wierd question for anyone who is familiar with real-estate law or dealing with real-estate contracts. I am going into a lawyer here on Monday, but I am driving myself crazy in the meantime going over and over the situation...

So here's the deal...

We are selling our house in Michigan and we signed a purchase agreement on February 7th that gave the buyer 30 days to secure a mortgage, with a target closing date of March 18th.
    Because I am living out of state, we did everything by fax (which is recognized as a legally valid way to sign contracts). At the end of February, they sent me the original documents, saying that the mortgage company needed the original documents, so they said to sign everything agian and just send it in the mail. These ones I signed on March 1st, so I dated it this date. I didn't think it was an issue because it was the exact same purchase agreement, so I assumed it was just a reiteration of the original, and all of the original time lines were in effect.
    Well, 30 days came and went, and the buyer was then working on her 3rd mortgage company to try to get a mortgage. I finally came out to Michigan because they said they would FOR SURE close by the end of March. Nothing.
    So when I got out here, I told them that we were done, that we knew they were out of contract and that we were going to pursue other options. We actually have someone else who wants to buy the house and it would be a significant increase for us (we would lose 1,000 on the original buyer, but gain 3,000 on the new buyer!).
    When we told the agent of the original buyer, he threw a fit, saying that they were still within their 30 day limit becuase I had dated some of the documents on March 1. They faxed over the underwriting approval, saying that the buyer had received funding, but still are not able to set a clear closing date, but he still INSISTS that they are not in breach of contract and that we still HAVE to go through with the sale.
    Here are my arguements: First of all, we were never informed that they were trying to extend the purchase agreement another 30 days. They should have sent us an addendum to sign if they needed more time. Also, the very end of the contract states that if the purchase agreement is not signed by the seller (me) by feb. 7 at noon, then the contract is no longer valid. So if we go by the date that we signed the faxed contract (feb 7), then the 30 days is WAY over. If we go by the march 1st signing, then the contract was already invalid becuase it wasn't signed by Feb. 7th.
    Am I making any sense here? Part of what enfuriates me is that the agent for the buyer is such a JERK about everything and won't budge on anything. We told him we would, in fact close with his client if he would adjust his commission to help us come to the table not losing any money, but he didn't budge a PENNY.
    I feel like he really doesn't have a leg to stand on with this, but I may be way off base here. Do any of you have any opinions on this issue?? Thank you so much for letting me vent!!

Jen B.

Do you have a realtor or is this FSBO?

Comment

Jen, I'm not a lawyer but from what work I did in contracts when I worked for an insurance company it sounds like you have more than a leg to stand on, plus even if you did sign it March 1st, its now April 2nd shouldn't they be done anyway?

Good luck!
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I wanted to add -- that stinks!
        I agree with Cheri. If you have a realtor, whtat do they say? If not, if you back out on this with him, do you know what recourse he has?

Comment

Thank you so much for your help!! We did have a realitor with this one (but her contract ran out yesterday and the new buyer will be a FSBO contract).
          The other realitor is saying that they did have the mortgage commitment by the 30 day deadline (Friday), although the mortgage company won't give a definite closing date, so even with that, we are still waiting! They said they should be ready to close by the end of this week, but my brother who is in real estate said that if they are not ready to close the same day, they can't say that their mortgage is ready. We have also heard the "we'll be ready to close by the end of the week" about three times from this buyer, so I don't put any stock into this time line.
          It is all so frustrating!! The fact that there is a $3,000 difference is HUGE for us right now!! The new buyer is so sweet and so patient. I explained everything to her and she said to take out time and do what we needed to do because she knows that she wants that house and will be ready to move on it as soon as we get things cleared up.
          I think the main repercussion that can come of this is if it has to go to arbitration or court, they would just make me honor the contract (that is, IF a warped judge actually believed his lies about the dates), and sell the house to them.
          Thank you again for listening!

Jen B.

Comment

Is there a realtor representing you? Or just the one representing the buyer?
            Do you have the name and number of her mortgage contact? I wonder if you could call them directly -- rather than depending on the realtor -- to see what they say about it.
            We had too many troubles to count with buying our current house. When we reached that "last straw" point, I told my real estate agent that I had had it and was talking to a real estate atty (a guy whose kids I babysat for years). Well, things sure improved after that! I didn't have to pay him anything....I'm not sure what would cost but it was a nice way to give the seller's a kick in the pants. :>
            Maybe ask your brother how to cancel the contract -- do you sign an amendment saying the contract is cancelled?
            Not too easy handling all of this from another state!

Comment

OMG, that sounds so ... awful! I hope this gets resolved quickly and in your favor. How absolutely infuriating!!!! I don't understand a lot about realtors.....why would you lose your realtor in the middle of the sale?

kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Keep us updated. I remember when we closed on our house, the selling couple didn't fullfil any of the contingencies and was acting like they had never heard anything about it. Thank God for our realtor, she was just as calm and sweet as could be, but didn't budge an inch. Good luck and let us know what happens!

Comment

Working...
                X