Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

bad habits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad habits

What are they?

Mine:

-My morning coffee addiction
    -Worrying
    -nail biting

What I have successfully kicked over the years:

-Recreational shopping
    -mindless TV watching

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

-picking at my cuticles
    -spending too much time on the computer!
    -procrastinating tasks that I don't enjoy and then freaking out when I am under the gun and almost out of time
    -thinking that a Coke will reduce stress and solve all my problems

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Biting nails
      cussing
      interrupting
      twirling my hair

drinking coffe is not a bad habit, it is sipping the elixer of life

ETA...you know you're a mommy when you mean to write sipping and put down sippy instead.

Comment

Current bad habits:

chewing on my thumbnails
        cursing
        my caffeine habit- coffee in the am, diet vanilla pepsi until ?

Habits I've kicked:

Smoking (yay for me!) It took hypnotism, the patch (twice) the gum (at least three times, cold turkey (about 800 times) before it finally stuck

Comment

For me -

eating (sad when a bad habit is also necessary for LIFE)
          shopping (REALLY working on that one)
          watching TV

I haven't really kicked any of 'em, but the shopping thing has gotten a LOT better.

Comment

I'm a miser. There it is. The number one bad habit I have on my mind these days. When we were in training, it worked for us. We never had any cash, so my true self was disguised. Now, well, now.....it is clear that my DH is going to have to pry the old holey towels out of my dead fingers before I part with cash to buy new ones. I don't want to travel, because I'd rather have money in the bank. I don't want to get my haircut, because it seems frivolous when it is "just" a blunt cut. I realized when i was looking at shirts in Walmart the other day that I can actually buy nicer clothes now ... yet ....I just won't part with the money. What is wrong with me???? I had no idea I was this cheap. I need to work on my relationship with money.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

bad habits:

- hyper-independence (sometimes I have to be on my death-bed before I ask for help - and that's NOT a good thing)

- addiction to all things chocolate and fattening

- the common one: nail biting (I've never had nice nails - ever)

I'm sure I'll think of a few more....

Jennifer
              Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
              With fingernails that shine like justice
              And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Bad habits:

trouble shooting before any sign of trouble in order to "keep everyone happy"

letting things slide because I can't start and finish a job due to time constraints -- so instead of something half done, I have lots of things not started

Things I am better about now:

letting things go I cannot change (ok with the exception of my husbands chosen profession)

needing my house clean for the sake of it being clean
                Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Bad habits:
                  - always needing to be in control
                  - lack of motivation for household projects
                  - Mindless TV watching when DH isn't home
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Ohh....I forgot swearing. I have got a big ol' potty mouth. Sometimes I really hate this about myself and sometimes I resolve myself to the fact that only an F-bomb or equivalent will adequately describe the situation at hand. I think that this is a result of: 1) living with a surgeon; and 2) my previous life working in the Army.

Kelly
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I have so many, but here are my top three:

-Quick to judge (I write people off and some of my closest friends today are people I immediately disliked when meeting them. Apparently I'm a 'second impression' type of person, and they all love to remind me that I didn't like them in the beginning. )
                      -Cheap. Like Angie, I hate parting with my money. Especially on entertainment because once it's over, my $ is gone.
                      -Control freak. This needs no explanation.

Comment

I fiddle/play with my hair too much.
                        I bite/pick at my cuticles, although my actual nails aren't too bad.
                        I interrupt people more than I should (mostly just asking questions to clarify what the other person is telling me, but it's probably still rude).
                        I spend WAY too much time on this and other internet sites.
                        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Bad habits:

1. Swearing
                          2. Bitching (primarily here, but also to DH )
                          3. Very difficult for me to relinquish control/accept help, and recognize that this life can be very difficult...instead have meltdowns where I am putting away the dishes and begin to cry for no apparent reason!
                          4. In reference to #3: Try to do it all, with no slowing down or stopping

Things that I've kicked or I have improved upon/ways I try to help myself:

1. Eat smaller portions of everything and more green stuff
                          2. Sought counseling
                          3. Schedule days just for me (leave daughter at daycare on my day off)

Comment

My bad habits:
                            1. Cursing--lately I'm even dropping the F-bomb, though not in the presence of my kids.
                            2. Procastination--I put stuff and make things 10X worse than if I'd just have done it in the first place.
                            3. I can't for the life of me return a library book or a video on time.
                            4. Being too stubborn to say I'm sorry.
                            5. I hate to stop and ask for directions.
                            Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

My sweet tooth. :disappointed:

My habit of picking on my cuticles.

I'm my own worst critic.

Comment

Working...
                              X