Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Start of a new year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start of a new year

Congratulations! Another year of med school or residency or fellowship under the belt!

DH reminded me last night that we have now been here for one year and 5 days. In two weeks, he will be a second year derm resident. A few nights ago, he was called for a consult by an intern who was on call for her first night. Wow, intern year seems so long ago.

Here's to another year! :~

Congratulations to all!!!
    Luanne
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Yeh - one down, six to go! :]
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Amen, Amen-

One year of fellowship left, we survived internship and 2 years of residency and 2 years of fellowship.

and ya know, except for PGY3, it's all pretty much sucked. In fact, I wouldn't go back if we were offered a bajillion dollars. Nope. Nada. Nyet.

Toasts to all- and big fat toasts to all who enter (hopefully) the LAST YEAR OF TRAINING.

Jenn

Comment

Amen, sister!
          Hallelujah!

Yea, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next year you can say that to me.

Comment

As of yesterday at 5pm, we're out of clinicals for a year and onto a *gasp* year of normal working hours, weekends off, and NO CALL!!! := :ra:

I'm pretty excited.
            ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
            -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Our last year has started. I fully expect some "new rule" to pass during this year that says "we OWE" at least one more year of training....

woo hoo

I AM glad that DH's last rotation is over though. He went "JUST A TAD" over the work hours this last month.

This new rotation should be in compliance which equals him home more!
              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

In fact, I wouldn't go back if we were offered a bajillion dollars. Nope. Nada. Nyet.
                If I had to go back and live through it again......the sheer thought literally sends chills up my spine and makes me feel nauseous. Those hundred hour weeks by myself with two little boys, watching my husband (when he was home) sleeping, or trying NOT to sleep so he could see the boys, are painful memories. My husband does not remember our middle child as a baby. I SO do not miss spending pretty much every holiday, birthday, weekend, and family occasion alone.

Residency was brutal and I never got used to it. What it required of my husband was pretty much all he had. What it took from our relationship and our family dynamics was almost impossible to overcome at times. The disappointments when DH wasn't there yet again would take my breath away each time.

So, for everyone who just kissed another year of training good-bye, CELEBRATE! :ra: Every year goes by a little faster, at least it did for me. It will all be over someday, and you will be able to put your family back together again in a more "normal" way. And not much about your husband's schedule will bother you once you have survived training, trust me.

Sally
                Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Congratulations to everybody!

We have one last *gulp* year here in VA (my husband even agrees that this final year here will be VERY painful and VERY busy, but he swears it will go by quickly....I think so....but be sure to remind me that I said this when October or November rolls around and I come here saying I'm not going to make it!). THEN we go to CA! :ra: and THEN we start thinking about a "real" job. I'm excited about California, but the wool was sort of pulled over my eyes....I didn't know there could be an ADDITIONAL fellowship!!!
                  Still, CA should be fun for a year.

Comment

My husband is now in his last year of residency! YAY!!!!

Jennifer
                    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                    With fingernails that shine like justice
                    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

We're half way through with residency. I've stopped trying to think and focus on the light at the end of the tunnel and just taking it one day at a time for now. There will most likely be a year of fellowship at the end, making the remainder 3 more years. Well, at least he's finally making more money than me. (as of last Friday).

Comment

Congrats to everyone for making it through this last year! My hardest year is just beginning, but at least I have made it through one.

Can someone pass the bajillion dollars, at least?
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

So far, so good. DH usually rolls into his office by 8am, and is home by 5pm. He spends all day in class or working on research papers, so by the time he gets home he's all mine!! We've already had a couple of great, lazy weekends and have planned a few long weekend vacations!! We are loving lab year.
                          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

On the thread of "would you do it again for a bajillion dollars" H%$# NO!!!!

I have learned what I think "a reasonable sacrifice" is.
                            I have learned that time is precious.

...and so much more
                            Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Well, as I expected, it's been no different than any of the previous years of fellowship. Wait, that's not true. It's actually worse since one of the other neurologists is getting out of the Army (not that I blame him, since he can make significantly more on the outside and he's long since paid back any obligation) so that means that they're all getting trained and qualified in the procedures that he currently does. (botox, VNS, etc) More skills and abilities are always good but it would be nice to see my husband for more than half an hour a day. Plus he is sharing the on-call pager with two other guys so we know that every third week he'll be on-call (for the entire year). Yay! (but at least we know and can therefore plan some time off!)

one more year. 11 months and 2 weeks. 354 more days.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                              X