Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

We could write a book ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We could write a book ....

... about being a medical spouse, right? I've seen that posted here a thousand times. (Maybe not a thousand, but often.... )

Those of you who have been around forever know that Kris used to put out a newsletter. We are trying to turn the newsletter into an online magazine designed to provide information, support and maybe even a little humor to all the families out there living the medical lifestyle. Kris is working hard to set up the format online; I have volunteered to put together content. So..... here goes!

To all out there reading this who have ever wanted to write or hope to write something in the future, this is your chance to get some practice and share your knowledge with others. We would *love* to see any contribution by a medical spouse. We are accepting articles of all shapes and sizes. Personal stories, reporting on medical issues, humor, editorial, uplifting, downtrodden ... you name it. If we can use it in an upcoming issue, we will work with you to get it in the right format. If we don't see how to use it yet, we will work towards making a place for your contributions in the future. If you have a story you'd like to tell, but don't want to write it. Volunteer to be interviewed and we'll write it for you! Contact me via PM with your ideas.

To all those out there that would like to read such a publication, please send me your ideas for future articles. I am already working on reporting on the 80 hr. work week and investigating some questions that have been posed here online repeatedly. Are there any issues you'd like to hear more about? Let me know.

If you would like to help, but don't write, you can still contribute. We are planning to offer the magazine as a subscription service: 6 dollars for 6 issues released online bimonthly.

Please consider signing up when we begin. Your contribution will help the iMSN grow. We have plans to apply for not-for profit status this year, but that takes cash. Kris and many others are working for free on this project. It may be a way to start to raise the funds. (Eventually, we will be able to accept tax deductable contributions.)

Thanks for your time, and please let me know your thoughts. We'd like to make this something everyone can enjoy and use as a resource.

Angie
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

love it - can't wait to be a part of it!

Comment

I'd love to get your moving story for a moving issue next Spring, Jenn. Sounds like it was very exciting. I was thinking it would work well with an article on moving advice, buying/selling, working with agents etc. Can you possibly revisit the horror in the hopes that others might be spared?
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

Originally posted by goofy
        revisit the horror in the hopes that others might be spared
        This should be the tagline of the 'zine.

(just kidding, don't call it that)
        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

This should be the tagline of the 'zine.

That is hysterical!

Good one, Julie!

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Angie-

Before anhyone reinvents the wheel, check out the articles that have already been done on moving. We had at least two in the previous version of the newsletter. Personal horror stories are entirely different and I'll send you the version of "Whatever happened to Antonio", a subject that none of the old-timers will want to revisit.

Jenn

(Antonio was our cat...)

Comment

Jenn, that was so awful about Antonio!

The journal is in the works. A huge software glitch has put me back to the drawing board for now. I've had to do a reinstall of an updated version....but we're just about ready to go with our first new issue. I think it will be really great.

I have to say a huge thanks to Angie for doing all of the editing while I play around with all of the software and get things organized.

BTW....I love the tagline...we'll have to use it for something!!!!

kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I'd love to hear the Antonio story. I've heard references to it, but never got the whole tale! I probably will regret it though, as I am a cat lover myself. (My brother's cat was killed by an exterminator in FL spraying under the bed. I've got the exterminator coming tomorrow, and I am already planning to hide my cats somewhere else!!)

I know there are some great moving articles in the articles section. You wrote an one or two of them, right? I seem to remember you moved - like 9 times in only a few years?? That has to be a record. Care to do an updated article?? ( I am clearly going to become annoying around here..... ) The old moving articles could be spun in new versions and updated. (Just like Parents magazine publishes articles over and over on the same parenting problems, but for new readers at that stage and hopefully with some new information!!) The topic is huge, and I am sure there are some things that haven't been covered. In general, I tend to favor a format with a real life story or two paired with an information based article on the same topic. I'm hoping to add in advice on some topics through interviews with experts in the field. Those are just my thoughts. Let me know what you think. So far, Kris and I have only kicked around our own opinions. I'm anxious for more input.

We are hoping to make the magazine more visible. New members don't always think to poke around in the articles - in fact, some of them never seem to hit the front page of iMSN. We will probably re-invent the wheel many times, but hopefully not so often it becomes dull. We are still planning to make the issues coincide with events in the typical medical training year, because that makes the most sense. I also think it would be good to include stuff for the various stages of training. Medical school, residency, fellowship, and attending all have their own challenges. Kris has filled me in some on the newsletter's history. I don't have access to all the old articles; I'm sure eventually the archives will be available for everyone. Right now we are just trying to get the first issue set up in a new format and plan this year's content.
                Angie

Comment

Well, this might be a great place to get some feedback! What would you all like to see? We currently will have an editorial, a few articles, a residency review and some recipes...but...what do you guys want?

Once the journal is up and running, I'll return the banner link from the forums. It was removed long ago once it became inactive....

kris
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I'd be willing to write an article on the 80-hour thing, or (bitter) resident spouses.

I'd be happy to include references to studies and the like, but most likely it might end up a bit negative. I could try to put a positive spin on it, maybe a little humor, and of course, you are free to take it or leave it.

Would it be okay if it was a bit bloggish?

Let me know. Give me a length and such, and I will try to come up with something.
                    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I like honesty, Heidi. We will always publish rebuttals in letters to MDFamily or editorials if people want to submit. Kris was just telling me she'd like to do a survey on the 80 hr. work week. (I also have done research on this!) I think we should make it an issue focus topic - perhaps the Nov/Dec issue.

Current feature articles run around 1500 words, give or take. Bloggish is fine. Send me a PM with a basic outline of the points you'd like to make or topics to cover. That will help us plan. I have set up an email account for MDFamily submissions at MDFamily@redcardinalpress.com . You can always reach me that way as well - and send attachments.
                      Angie

Comment

I'd be happy to re-tell my horror story - there are actually parts that weren't covered here b/c I was internet-less during that time. It would be a "how not to do it" guide, in contrast to Jen's "how to do it".

I would also offer up something on how to make the most of the "spousal support groups" w/in the program - if anyone is interested.

Comment

Antonio.
                          Luanne
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Cleveland Jenn (or do I have to call you impossibly perky shag Jenn? )--

I like your idea about an article on setting up spousal support groups. Anyone who can get TJ's to move in to all the neighborhoods they occupy can teach us something about being proactive. I think we'll collect some moving stories from several people and do a round up in one issue next spring when the next wave is about to move. The good moves are encouraging, but the bad ones are so much more entertaining!! Particularly when they turn out ok in the end. I will PM you to hash out details.
                            Angie

Comment

I prefer "Her Royal Highness", but I suppose Cleveland Jenn will do.

My experience isn't so much w/organizing the group (it existed when I got there), but I was on the board, etc. I'm sure I can put something together.

The horror stories for moving (or any old thing) could maybe be a sub-column about the flip side. I dunno, sometimes people just like to wallow in other's difficulties - especially when you have the freedom of knowing it worked out in the end (although I will say we do still own a home in Cleveland Heights).

Comment

Working...
                              X