Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Residency Application Question #592: Personal Statement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DH thought around one page was pretty much average. But not having done this before, the 5 1/2 limit was curious.

Alison, are you reading the blue (as opposed to the red) Iserson?? Is it helpful? I've heard the blue is great, the red outdated.

Comment

The library had only the red (2004) Iserson. I've only flipped through it, it's half about how to pick a specialty and get good grades in the important clerkships. However, some of the stuff about prepping for interviews is reassuring for me, anyway.

Now you have me nervous that we'll get a totally incorrect picture from this book. We're cross referencing with online resources though.
      Alison

Comment

Oh gosh, is there a book we should be reading too for interviews? I'm a little nervous about that and feel like I should be coaching DH on public speaking. He's a very calm and reassuring person in doctor mode, but when he's nervous in an interview-type of situation, I feel like he tends to start stumbling over words and gradually loses his good posture.

Or maybe I'm underestimating him.

I would definitely feel better if I could just do all of this for him...

"Hello interview panel! What questions can I answer for you in regards to my husband's interest in your residency program?"

Yeah, that would get him in real quick with a pushy stage wife!

Comment

Originally posted by E's Mom
          Or maybe I'm underestimating him.
          Hahahah. I harbor the secret fear that the reason my DH struggled to get into med school despite excellent numbers was poor interview skills. But hey, that's life, and I will just have faith in him.

Iserson puts it well. after all the work put into studying and prepping for everything else, it would be silly not to expend some effort prepping for interviews. Stuff like being ready to talk candidly about yourself, having appropriate qquestions ready, etc.
          Alison

Comment

I doubt things like 'prepping for interviews' go out of date (didn't mean to make you nervous!). I've not looked through it myself, so I don't know any more than what a few other wives have told me about their husband's opinions, and what reviewers say on amazon.com. How's that for second hand information??
            My DH is a great public speaker/interviewer. He definately won't have a problem with the interview, but he will stress about it and completely over-prepare. He always does, but that probably gives him confidence. If I were in his place, I would be the one cowering under a table and crying during the interview because I had spent all my prep time :: due to nerves. Lucky for me they don't have a wife-interview portion.

Comment

Originally posted by shella
              I doubt things like 'prepping for interviews' go out of date (didn't mean to make you nervous!). I've not looked through it myself, so I don't know any more than what a few other wives have told me about their husband's opinions, and what reviewers say on amazon.com. How's that for second hand information??
              Durh, I should know by now to check amazon reviews!

FYI, the red one is the most recent edition. I think the "out of date" referred to what I mentioned, it's half about picking specialties -- if you buy it as a 2nd year it will soon be obsolete, and if you get it as a 4th year it's past the point of helping. Not sure which the reviewer meant though.
              Alison

Comment

Working...
              X