Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Need Advice from Puppy People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice from Puppy People

We're considering added a puppy to the chaos that is our household. I know I'm a glutton for punishment, but the boys have really been begging for one (dh included).

We'll be going the mutt route - I'm not a purebred lover. I've never housebroken a pup, and would love all of the advice you can provide.

Definitely use a crate. We have three dogs and we didn't use a crate for the first two, and you can tell a huge difference. Our last dog is more independent and she was pretty easily housetrained also.

Comment

I will whole heartedly second the use a crate school of thought. I grew up on a farm and our dogs were always allowed to do whatever they wanted to, I thought it was cruel when we had to crate train our dog b/c we live in a city. She is SO much happier in her crate when we're not home and at night.

Another thing - if you get a puppy that is really young, socialize the heck out of them at least until they are 4 months old. Take them on walks where they will meet other people and dogs, take them to dog parks. They say the 1st 4 months are very important for that and of course we didn't know that and our little beagle now goes nuts when we're walking and a human or another dog approaches.

I would also recommend some type of formal obedience training. You don't necessarily have to take a class but find the type that you think will work for your family structure and stick to it. We did the clicker training with Molly and for the most part it works great.

On housetraining, besides the crate. Pick one area in the yard where you want them to go. Pick a corner or behind a tree because they'll most likely change the color of the grass. Praise them like there is no tomorrow when they go outside. If they have accidents inside and you see them doing it promptly pick them up and carry them to that point outside. If you find an accident inside that you didn't witness don't punish them for it, they don't understand why you're punishing them and they'll associate it with something else.

Our puppy is now 14 months old and she's a great addition to the family.

Good luck!
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Now's the time to read Before You Get Your Puppy by Ian Dunbar along with EVERYTHING of his you can get your hands on, including -- maybe especially -- his videos called Sirius Puppy Training.

Read Patricia McConnell's stuff while you're at it.

But DEFINITELY Dunbar. I cannot begin to emphasize enough how important I think it is to follow his suggestions from the get-go; if you do I am convinced you are guaranteed a pup that will grow into a delightful, confident, well-mannered, but most of all SAFE dog!

You can find these materials at http://www.dogwise.com/.

Way to go for going the rescue dog route! I suggest finding a local organization that raises the dogs in foster homes and is committed to their early training. You could find a gangly fun ~4-6 month old that will be mostly potty trained, and you'll still have a long life together, and you'll be doing a great thing because older pups can be funny-looking and sometimes have more trouble finding homes than adorable baby puppies. Here's an organization in Michigan that's just fabulous, if you can find a group like this (try petfinder.com) you'll be in great shape!: http://apbpets.com/
        Alison

Comment

Ask around and find a great veterinarian before you get the puppy. Not only will they provide great health care for the newest member of your family, but they are usually very familiar with the local rescue groups as well as the local behavior consultants and trainers. They can also help you decide what kind of puppy and age that will work best for your family. Make sure the vet is someone you feel comfortable with...especially since the first year you will likely spend over $300-500 at the vets office.

As a vet, I'd love it if people thinking about getting a puppy, would make an appointment before they get the puppy. Especially a family. It's easier to talk to children about caring for the puppy and safety without a cute little squirmy thing running around the place. And you never know if someone in the office is fostering a great puppy or knows about a recent litter etc.

Just my little plug! I think sometimes we're an over looked resource.
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Absolutely go to the Vet first. We went when our kids were were very young before getting a pet. It is amazing how the kids will listen to the Vet much better than listenting to you, and they develop trust with the Vet which is helpful down the road when the pet needs shots, etc. We used to call the Vet the animal's pediatrician (sorry Michele). They do know the best rescue groups in the area.
            Luanne
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I cannot emphasize how AMAZING all the tips people have given here!!! I would just add a big "ditto" to all the responsible dog owners here!!! I am IMPRESSED. We kind of rock!

One minor tidbit is to look into pet insurance for a possibility. It helps with vaccines and flea medication depending on what you sign up for. Pet insurance is not for everyone but chances are there will be one major issue (or more) in your dog's life and from my perspective, I would hate to think, "mortgage or surgery for our buddy Rover?"

http://www.ph.petinsurance.com

...just a thought. Maybe Michelle can give her insight as a vet as to whether pet insurance is a "good call." We did it and I'm glad we did but that's us.
              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Hello!

I definitely agree with the others - crate training, puppy obedience school, and socialization at a dog park. When we had our Norwegian Elkhound, Mikata (he died a couple of years ago from kidney failure), we did all of that in addition to a lot of home training. He was the best dog ever! We were regular dog parkers and the whole dog park culture is really interesting. I highly recommend 2 books by the Monks of New Skete: (1) The Art of Raising a Puppy and (2) How to Be your Dog's Best Friend. LOVE these books!!!! The Monks raise German Shepards in upstate New York. Good luck with your new puppy! Having a well-trained dog is so rewarding and the unconditional affection your dog has for you lis like no other.

-Melanie

Comment

Originally posted by melfitz
                  I highly recommend 2 books by the Monks of New Skete: (1) The Art of Raising a Puppy and (2) How to Be your Dog's Best Friend.
                  I have to disagree. Job Michael Evans, primary author of the first book, has publicly rescinded the disciplinary advice given. The methods work great for the Monks, but a first time puppy owner should probably work with more reversible tactics like standard operant conditioning and body language rather than attempting to master the complexities of intercanine communication. Just my opinion, the books have an important place on my shelf but I will forever regret how I treated my Sam in a misguided attempt to gain dominance over her. I'll never get her puppyhood back.
                  Alison

Comment

We've had a puppy since the beginning of June, and we absolutely adore him. Granted please keep in mind we have no children right now, so he is our baby. We crate trained him from the beginning, and he does very well in it sleeping at night and while we're out running errands.

Potty training was very smooth, but we've been home a lot this summer and take him out almost every hour and say, "Go Potty!" and he usually will. We were also lucky enough that from the first night we got him, he slept through the night. I have not heard the same about other puppies, unfortunately!

Comment

I think you've received some great advice.

Regarding training, I would recommend finding a video and/or class. Maybe it's my learning style, but I think it would have been hard for me to read it out of a book and apply it without seeing someone do it. We found a great trainer that we took both dogs to. I don't know if there is a nametag to her philosophy, but it was a no-hit (no physical punishment) 10 week class. They had a lecture about certain behavior topics for the first few minutes and then did the obedience training.

I would really make sure that the dog is comfortable with children and would maybe handle the dog like a child would -- touch it's paws, look under it's ears, that sort of thing.

We are still using the same commands and training with our 9 year old dog and he is a beloved family member and playmate for the kids. They put hats on him, dress him up in aprons, walk him around the yard, color on him with markers ( oops).... he has more patience than I do! I try to repay him with walks and pets but the balance will forever be in his favor.

Comment

Veterinary Insurance

I'd recommend setting aside a savings account for the pup and depositing money in it each month. The insurance companies are sometimes very hard to deal with regrading what they will and won't cover. But if it's the only way you can set aside money for the pup, then go for it.

You should maybe also sit down with the hubby and figure out what a dog means to your family and where a dog's place is....and how much you are comfortable spending on veterinary health care. It's not something that is often planned for...but like Luanne said, we are the pup's pediatrician, as well as the surgeon, and the gastroenterologist, and the dermatologist, and the oncologist...and we have most of the bells and whistles that human hospitals and MDs have access to...so we can offer very high quality medicine...but it's best if you decide what your family is most comfortable with before you're placed in that hard decision of "should we spend $2000 for surgery/MR/chemo on a dog?"
                        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

we got a lab / shepard mix 10 week old pup who is adorable! He is a rescue though one of the agencies I found using the link from Alison (thx)! Our boys are really too little to pay attention at a vet consult (we'd have 3 cute squirmy things running around the office in that scenario), but I do thank all for the suggestion. Perhaps I'll take the bigger guy in w/me for a check up. The whole family went for the adventure - the boys were disappointed when we left the 1st adoption site b/c we didn't "click" with anyone, but we're all really happy we continued on. DH & I took turns sitting in the pen w/a boy & the pups to see who was calm, etc. And the woman who fostered the puppy talked to us about him for a long time. I love that he wasn't sitting in a cage for days before we got him --- I really think he's calmer b/c of it. I'm following my book's directions about crating and house-training - and he's doing really well (knock on wood). Only 3 accidents inside - all pee! Woo Hoo!

Thanks all for your suggestions! I'm sure I'll be calling on your wisdom again in the next several weeks. And I'll probably have to add something to the "today I had to replace" thread ....

Comment

Michele you are so right about the monthly $$ deposit. I have $50 taken from each paycheck (2 times a month) and put into a savings account that is earmarked for the dogs. This year we spent over $3000 on Winston, and he is now FINE. Good luck. They really should be treated like a family member, because they are.
                            Luanne
                            Luanne
                            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by j3qpatel
                              we got a lab / shepard mix 10 week old pup who is adorable! He is a rescue though one of the agencies I found using the link from Alison (thx)! ... And the woman who fostered the puppy talked to us about him for a long time. I love that he wasn't sitting in a cage for days before we got him --- I really think he's calmer b/c of it.
                              CONGRATS! Sounds lke the PERFECT situation, and you'll have access to that person's knowledge too as your pup grows. Does he have a name?
                              Alison

Comment

Working...
                              X