Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

medical meetings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• medical meetings

I just got 4 junk mail solicitations for medical meetings in Hawaii, Arizona, Chicago and Florida. I've been to one meeting with DH when he was in training. We left the kids with Grandma and went to New Orleans for 3 days. It was fun, but he was busy most of the time. Evenings, we went out with the department. For most meetings though, we couldn't afford my airfare (much less the kids!) to take advantage of his free hotel room when he attended a required conference. He is required to travel more as an attending than ever before - at least 6 meetings a year. Some are lots of work, but others are more social. I'm wondering if we should try to get to more with him. Do any of you travel with your spouse to meetings? Do you enjoy it? (If you have, any great destinations?)
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

I've gone to a few meetings and really enjoyed it and targeted the ones where he would be both less busy and a city/location I would enjoy by myself. During research fellowship, he had a hotel room to himself so all we needed was my airfare. At this residency, they have to share rooms with another resident...which puts a damper on things. If he gets a presentation accepted for one coming up, then they he won't have to share a room. So, my fingers are crossed for a trip to San Francisco. I'm really disappointed I couldn't make the trip to Italy with him two years ago!!

Comment

I've been to a few conferences with my husband. Whenever one comes up on the West Coast, we try to go so that we can also fit in a visit with our families. DH's group reimburses us 100% for registration and travel expenses so it is like a free vacation for us. Angie, there are also lots of conferences in the Caribbean. That could make a nice little vacation for your family! I have my eyes on one on St. John for next year. 8) One of our friends just attended one in Grand Cayman.

Comment

They are so tempting!! The problem, of course, is that my husband is so specialized and feels dishonest attending a conference that isn't right on target. His meetings - so far - have been in BORING places. We are planning on going back to New Orleans this winter with him - but I might opt to spent that travel money on a better location if I could convince him to go to a different conference as well. He does have posters and presentations now with residents at a broad range of meetings. We got this flyer today for a colposcopy thing in Hawaii in December. Sounds very tropical. The Caribbean sounds great too! Maybe I need to steer DH's submissions towards different meetings. He gets reimbursed for his 6 required meetings and has additional slush money for one/two more. Ahhh. Hawaii.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

My dh is going to a conference in Seattle in October, and I would love to go. Problem is that we've just moved away from all free versions of childcare. I'd hoped to snooker my in-laws into coming to watch the boys, but they wanted to come over Labor Day when my BIL / SIL are coming too. My MIL said "I don't have that kind of money to come 2 months in a row." which is totally not true (tickets btwn Cleveland and KC are $250 MAX). What she means is "You have too much debt to be going on a trip.".

Comment

We went to Seattle with DH a couple years ago. That was fun, but DH was pretty busy and we had to take our daughter with us so attending the evening functions wasn't an option. Exploring the city and shopping was fun though. I think we would go more often except DH took a clinical job. DH is attending a board review course in Ann Arbor next month. Too bad the location is an hour from where I grew up so there isn't much incentive to go with him.

Jennifer
            Needs

Comment

Working...
            X