Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Walter Reed closure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walter Reed closure

I just saw on Yahoo news that "the panel" has voted to close Walter Reed. I guess it had to happen - updating I mean. Still, I'm surprised. Walter Reed seems like such an icon. So what is the inside story Jenn?
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Walter Reed is an icon and it's absolutely filled to the brim with people. The adult neuro ward has psych people because all of the psych beds are filled, the physical rehab people are totally overwhelmed- I can't get an appointment for Nikolai and my gyn appointment was scheduled weeks ago. I have no idea where they're going to put all these people. Navy is filled to the brim themselves and Navy has the NICU and L & D for EVERYONE.

I think its fine to consolidate, but I think it's a mistake to jetison WRAMC entirely. First, that hospital is NEWER than Navy. However, Navy is across the street from NIH and USUHS is on the grounds of Navy. The other problem is that I don't know where they will build a bigger hospital on those grounds. They're pretty packed in as it is.

Ft. Belvior is NEVER going to be able to handle all of the people they're getting. There is literally one road in and it's Route 1. (Route 1 goes from Maine to Florida) There are no Metro stations, it's too far out and the bus service is spotty. They're going to have to figure out how to finance some better public transportation, that's for sure. An outpatient medical center isn't a bad idea, Ft. Belvior is just a really sucky location to put one.

Congress will approve the package though, as my cynical side believes that this is retribution for 90% of the city voting Democrat.

Jenn

Comment

If you get stuck on the NJ part of Route 1 you will never get out, it is the twilight zone.
      Luanne
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I was reading that the base clousure committee acknowledged that some days it will take 5-count 'em-5 hours to make it through the main gate at Ft. Belvoir.

What a flippin' nightmare.

jenn

Comment

What I don't get is how they keep voting to save everything else. I would have thought Walter Reed would be a top priority. Is it just because they think they have a plan (highly questionable though it may be...)?
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I grew up as a military brat and all I can say is "no comment" about how the military chooses to organize things. It is shocking really.

kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Walter Reed has a lot of sentimental value but in reality, both Navy and WRAMC are in dire need of updating. It sucks for us, but in the long run, it's better for the soldiers.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
              X