Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cheerwine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheerwine

have you guys ever heard of this stuff?

It's a soda pop. I bought the 'diet cheerwine' last night and it's pretty good.... But what the heck IS it?

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I think Cheerwine is a Southern soda. Maybe our resident Southern Belles will now.

Jenn

Comment

I think Cheerwine is a cherry flavored soda, but I have never tried it myself. Did you like it? I had never heard of it either until we moved to the South. Whenever I heard a radio commercial for Cheerwine, I always assumed it was some kind of cheap wine (with a very high alcohol content) until I saw it at the grocery store.

Comment

Wow. Talk about cultural diffusion - cheerwine has made it up to Minnesota. It's a sweet cherry flavored drink that originated in North Carolina almost 100 years ago.

Okay, now I'm going to ask a stupid question. Did RC cola ever make its way to the Midwest or Northeast back in the day?

Oh, I don't know exactly what's in cheerwine, but no alcohol that's for sure (but I'm sure you knew that).

My favorite diet sodas these days are Sunkist, A&W root beer, and suprisingly Pepsi One (since I don't really care for regular Pepsi -- also from the Tarheel state). Didn't want anyone to lie awake at night wondering what my diet cola preferences were.

So, what are some regional drinks in the midwest or other areas that we probably don't have here in the South?

Comment

Vernor's ginger ale used to be a Pennsylvania thing- and it used to be as strong as the chi-chi ginger ales that you can find at places like Whole Foods. but as with all things, they were bought out and homogenized and now, really, there's not much difference between Safeway brand and Vernor's.

Jenn

Comment

RC made it to Ohio. I haven't noticed it in Kansas yet, but I'm not a fan and wouldn't look for it.

Is Cotton Club a national thing? DC Jenn is right - Vernors used to knock the wind out of you back in the day.

As for my soda preferences:

1. I call it soda even though I was born and raised in Ohio where it's "pop".
            2. I long for the days of Tab

Comment

I am terrified of slipping back into pop.

Hey, what kind of Coke did you want?

We have RC in WI.

I must not have been far enough South because I never heard of Cheerwine.

Regional drinks in Wisconsin are Leinies, Point and Walters :~

my sodas of choice are:
              A&W diet
              Diet Coke with Lime
              Black Cherry

Comment

My favorite soda is Diet Barq's.....but I can't for the life of me find it out here. All the grocery stores carry is the regular Barq's.

Comment

They sell RC Cola here in Missouri. I don't really drink it, but I (for some strange reason) remember seeing it at the grocery store last week.

My favorites are...Diet A&W Cream Soda, Diet Vanilla Coke, and OH! When we were driving down to Destin on our honeymoon I discovered Peach Crush...that was AWSOME...unfortunately I think I only saw it in gas stations once we hit Alabama

Comment

I discovered Peach Crush...that was AWSOME...unfortunately I think I only saw it in gas stations once we hit Alabama Sad
                    Wow. I used to live in Alabama, but I never tried it. I'll have to ask some friends who are bama natives how I might procure some of that. It sounds great.

Comment

We had RC in Kansas when I was growing up, I don't know how much it is still around though.
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

RC is actually the cola of choice among our rural central-Illinois relatives, who go beyond the soda/pop debate and call it "sodee-pop." As in, "Hey, you kids want some sodee-pop? We got some RC out in the garage."

I was just in Massachusetts this weekend and my husband and I were talking about his love of Polar as the regional soda of his youth. Of course they call all sodas "tonic," though.
                        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Julie, I think we're from the same neighborhood...

Comment

I'm a sucker for Orangina.

In Florida, where I grew up, I don't remember any Cheerwine. Is that a NC thing or just a newer soda?

I can't adjust to saying "pop". I just can't. It's soda.
                            Angie
                            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Liz2254
                              Julie, I think we're from the same neighborhood...
                              Could be. I'm actually from the outer 'burbs of Chicago, but my dad's side of the family is down there in Pawnee/Auburn/Taylorville, outside of Springfield, so we grew up visiting frequently.
                              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Working...
                              X