Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Labor Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labor Day

Happy Labor Day everyone. I hope you all have a productive day!!
    Luanne
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Thanks, Luanne, hopefully you did too. My DH was off yesterday and today, we went shopping yesterday and played golf today, it was nice to relax together for once!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I had a nice relaxing birthday. Finished a baby blanket for my sil, and worked on organizing my first class here in Boise.

Crystal
      Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Happy Birthday!!!! I spent the day attempting to "fix a floor".
        Luanne
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Well, it really was a "Labor" day for us, we were so busy this weekend!!

We:
          - moved EVERYTHING out of the study (to make room for nursery furniture) to the new "study" in the basement
          - set up/organized new study
          - picked up/unpacked/assembled changing table and crib; set up nursery
          - tons and tons of unending yardwork
          - cleaned house (vacuum, dust, bathrooms, laundry)

:thud:

Urgh, I'm tired.

Sometime in there I also went with my step-SIL to register for baby gifts and to a wedding shower.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!
          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I spent the weekend home alone with the kids. I didn't want to drive anywhere, because I really had nowhere to drive to, and it would have cost a fortune to just go window shopping. We are being gouged at the pumps here. In less than a week our prices went from 2.45 to 3.39. Ugh. Not to mention that over half of the gas stations I drive by have no gas! Here I was a few weeks ago, practically boasting that the prices in SC are usually the lowest in the nation. GRRRR. I can not afford this! We live 20 minutes from the hospital and 8 minutes from the nearest grocery store (which is expensive in its' own right. If I want to go to Super Wal-Mart it'll cost me 6 bucks in gas. Yes, I drive a gas guzzler. It's old and all we can afford, and the only car we have that fits the kids in it.

I know my gas woes are trivial...

Dh was on call Saturday and Monday. We saw a little bit of him on Sunday. Such is life.

I wonder what it must be like to get weekends and holidays off like normal people. Dh says, that if he had any other job he would get home late some nights too. Well, at least we'd have a freaking weekend or a Labor Day!
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Heidi - I gotta say I'm commiserating with ya! DH in Equador, air conditioner died, sick kids & we're all cramming into DH's Nissan Sentra while he's out of town to save on gas getting everyone where they need to be...and we have the lowest prices in the country: $2.82 today. :thud: Labor day was truly laborous over here. Hmmm...is that a word? Glad others were able to enjoy it with their spouses...just jealous!

Sara

Comment

I should say that my DH just finished working 27 days STRAIGHT without a single day off. So his two days off was and still is a rarity.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

It drives me nuts when I misspell: I meant laborious!

Sara

Comment

Jane---

You must be "nesting" like me.

I am starting to kick into "must have EVERYTHING ready for when the baby comes" mode. This includes painting rooms.

Crystal
                    Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Warning: WAAAY off topic

Originally posted by cricketnmatt
                      Jane---

You must be "nesting" like me.

I am starting to kick into "must have EVERYTHING ready for when the baby comes" mode. This includes painting rooms.

Crystal
                      Yeah, I do feel a sense of urgency now to have everything done NOW. Even though December still seems pretty far away, when I think about it in terms of how many weeks I have left to go (15!) and what I have left to do ... :thud:. I *wish* I could start painting the nursery because I can't really decorate it until that's done, but DH is paranoid about the chemicals and fumes and won't let me do it. At least the furniture is bought and set up! A friend of ours is around 27 weeks pregnant with twins and went into labor over the weekend, luckily they were able to stop it but now she's on permanent bed rest and they haven't even picked out nursery furniture yet!
                      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I had an in-law invasion for Labor Day. MIL / FIL came Thursday night (LATE), BIL/SIL came Friday night LATE. BIL/SIL & I left on Monday - them to home, me to Los Angeles to visit my cousin who just had a baby. I returned yesterday (Wednesday) so that MIL / FIL could leave this morning at 5:45 AM (nutty flight times just b/c they're inconsiderate, not b/c they had to get anywhere).

During all of that, our car died at a gas station Sunday night (after we filled up, it just wouldn't start). Our warranty covered a tow, but not transport home. MIL/FIL were home w/my kids, but did not answer the phone even though we called for an hour straight (they were in bed, but we have no idea how they didn't hear it). We called 4 taxi services who said we were too far for them to go (too far to get for just a 3 mile fare). SIL and I ended up riding home in the back of a police crusier so that I could get our other car. Turns out the problem was just a fuse, and the same place that wanted to charge me $800 for breaks the other day, didn't charge us at all! That would be fabulous, except that dh told them to leave the key in the car and we'd pick it up, but they locked it, and he couldn't find the extra key until I came home.

Let's just say I'm tired.....

Comment

Yikes, Jenn! that sounds horrible!

Labor Day itself was great because we all went to my parents, lounged around their house looking at the sailboats on the Bay. The day before that however, we got screwed by our former storage unit and our new storage unit AND U-Haul. Nothing like what was supposed to be a 200 dollar event turning into a $500 event. Bastids, all of them.

Jenn

Comment

We had a low-key Labor Day and went to check out Fulton Ferry park, which might be one of my favorite parks now.

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photo...8203_0_ALB.jpg

(note the blimp)
                            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Working...
                            X