Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Good cleaner for flat-topped electric ovens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good cleaner for flat-topped electric ovens

During my MIL's visit she made chai so many times (and let the pot boil over so many times) that my flat stove top is now singed we caked-burnt-on milk, tea, sugar and chai masala. I've tried fantastic, clorox cleaner w/bleach, and dow bathroom cleaner, but am afraid to go too abrasive.

Open to suggestions ....

"Easy-Off Glass Ceramic cooktop cleanser". I use this one and it works well. The first time you use it you may need to apply it more than once. I am a very messy cook and I use this all of the time>
    Luanne
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

When we bought ours it came with cream cleanser and a blue sponge with that blue scrubby pad attached...like the green thing, but blue. I think they sell them seperately at Sears. I would sit a really really how washcloth on ithe stovetop first.

Comment

Is it a glass cooktop? Sugar can be hard to get off. You might need to use a razor blade -- but try the other stuff first.

Comment

Have you tried Bar Keeper's Friend? We have a glass cooktop and that works really well for us (me ), but I don't know how well it would do for caked-on stuff. Good luck, how annoying!
          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I use Easy Off One Step too and that works well, although sometimes you have to apply it more than once for really caked on, burnt stuff. DH did some cooking after I gave birth and let's just say I thought he did some permanent damage to our glass cooktop, but Easy Off did the trick! I've also heard the stuff they sell at Sears works well.

Comment

I have always used a *mild* abrasive cleaner made especially for cooktops, and it has worked great. I don't know what it is called, but I found it in a grocery store aisle. You don't have to use very much.....you squeeze it directly onto the cooktop and then rub it in with a paper towel....then you use a wet paper towel to get the residue off the cooktop.

Sally
              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I second trying Bar Keeper's Friend. That stuff is amazing.

Comment

thanks all! I'll look for Bar Keepers Friend and Easy Off Cooktop. I'm sure I'll be able to use both. Hopefully one will get the label off of my fridge that goo gone hasn't worked on.

Comment

Bar Keeper's Friend sounds good. Do you remember where you bought it?

Comment

They sell it at publix, wal mart etc. It was recommended to me to use on my allclad cookware too. It does a great job.

We got a flat cooktop a few months ago. I am not a fan. WAAAAAAAAy too hard to keep clean.
                      Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Originally posted by suwannee
                        We got a flat cooktop a few months ago. I am not a fan. WAAAAAAAAy too hard to keep clean.
                        Yup, it's at the grocery store in a goldish colored can (sort of like a Comet can). I've also seen it at Bed Bath and Beyond but it might cost more there.

I have a "gas on glass" range which is supposed to be a step up from regular sealed burner gas range surfaces. The thing is a b*$&# to clean. Luckily the area around the burner is not the glass but the area surrounding each square of burner is.

Comment

Originally posted by suwannee
                          Agreed. The only reason I have it is it's what was in the new house. My mantra during meal prep is "I hate this stove".

Comment

I recently bought Barkeepers Fiend at Linens & Things. I agree it is fantastic.
                            Luanne
                            Luanne
                            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by j3qpatel
                              Agreed. The only reason I have it is it's what was in the new house. My mantra during meal prep is "I hate this stove".
                              I bought mine "on purpose". At least I have the coated cast iron grates and can still use cast iron pans and such but if it spills over on the glass..... ....who the f*$# thought this up anyway?

Comment

Working...
                              X