Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Piano Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piano Question

Alright....so our move has been put off AGAIN. Now we're not closing until Oct 21. Unfortunately, my piano has been sitting out on our...front porch since the end of August. We had the floors refinished and had to move it out of the house. The only place we could push it was the front porch. I covered it with a blanket and a huge tarp thinking that we would be closing on the 9th of SEPTEMBER and that all would be ok. Fast forward a month..and I'm getting worried.

We had a freeze two nights ago. I went out and stuffed towels into the top of the piano to cover the tops of the strings but I'm freaking out.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? We just can't put it back in the house. It will scratch up the floors for sure.

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Could you put it on a blanket, and then back in the house? (Just an idea.)

It sounds like you have the outside of it protected pretty well.....the temperature extremes will be ####### the strings, and humidity would be horrible for it all around....how humid has it been?

If you can't do anything about it, just plan on getting it tuned once you get moved.

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Thomas says NO WAY. We've had so many problems with our floors since getting them redone. Aidan has colored on them twice and we're having to pay through the nose to get them fixed AGAIN. With Murphy's Law following us around, we're afraid to gouge it or something. One of the wheels on the bottom isn't working properly and we have a ledge from our front door to our patio that would make it tough even if it is on blankets.

I was considering buying a small space heater for nights and a few of those cans of *stuff* that take moisture out of the air to put in. I'm just afraid that the strings will be totally ruined. Do you think a heater/dehumidifying stuff would be good? I hate to heat the outdoors, but...

kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

What about putting it in the garage? Honestly, Kris, if I were you I would call a piano tuning/repair service and see what they recommend, because I am not really an expert! They might be able to give you some good hints.

Sally
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

what Sally said.

Comment

Even though you don't officially close until the 21st, would they let you just put the piano in the new house? Just a thought - that way it would already be there and be out of you hair...

Jen B.

Comment

You could call a piano moving company. Ask them if they do storage. They will store the piano for you and move it to you new house at the end of October.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
              X