Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Potter Barn's anti reading campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potter Barn's anti reading campaign

What is UP with Pottery Barn decor these days? I am completely blown away that all the catalogues have the books in the bookshelves *backwards* with the pages showing instead of the spines. I know I'm supposed to be appreciating the subtle texures and colors of the pages -- but JEESH. That's like buying books by the color and yard to fill up a "library" room. My new pet peeve. ::
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Ok, you got my attention, Angie!

I looked at the PB website and see what you are talking about. How weird! What good is a bookshelf if you can't see the titles? Maybe they will come up with special printing of classics in coordinating colors. Want to be a philosopher in style? Buy the Philospher Collection to match your new couch and fill your new bookshelf....

Comment

At least they have books on the bookshelves :!

I hate those decoraitng shows and magazines that tell you to take most of the books out of your bookcase and make it "more attractive' with picture frames, knick knacks and fake ivy.

Comment

Originally posted by Arborea
        At least they have books on the bookshelves :!

I hate those decoraitng shows and magazines that tell you to take most of the books out of your bookcase and make it "more attractive' with picture frames, knick knacks and fake ivy.
        Amen.

This all reminds me of The Living Room Test. I don't know if you guys have already seen it, but it's fun--and funny--in my opinion.

I'll tell you right off the bat, we scored terribly on this. I'm not too knotted up about it. Most of the things we lost points on aren't things we chose so much as things that are dictated by our current situation. It's not like we went out and installed vinyl floors, they came with the apartment and the apartment is what we can afford and is temporary. I kind of feel like the last question on the quiz should say "Living beyond your means just so you can have a showy living room: Subtract 75."

What was I talking about? Oh yes, we lost points left and right on this quiz but did manage to scoop up both the bookshelves-with-books points and the bookshelves-overflowing points, which probably helped us avoid scoring "slum-dweller" on this test.

Here's the test:
        http://www.umsl.edu/~rkeel/010/livingroomscale.html

And here's an article that refers to the test that I thought was also interesting:
        http://www.thewtc.org/Working_Class_Educated.pdf

The other thing is that vinyl floors or not, I really like our apartment. It's a good size and layout for us and although there's things I would change if were going to be there longer or we owned it (like painting it something besides white), it's still very homey to me. Maybe I can dig up some pics this week and you can you can all make fun of my Picasso print (which I agree is tacky but I'm not bothering to change at this point).
        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

We scored below 50 (Lower class) both using my current living room and imaginary (the one I'd ultimately like to have) one. May be if we could add 5 points for each bookcase and another 10 for closets full of boxes. Too bad there are no points for scrubs-covered floors and medical periodicals.

As for Pottery Barn, I wonder if the stylist for that shoot had a hangover or a headache. The other pics seem more normal looking.

Comment

I guess that we are blue collar to our core: 32 points

We have books, books, books, and toys and family pictures. That's about it in the living room.

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I got a 48,using my old house. With the apt, I would be at like 3.
              Apparently the upper class is stuck in 1842.
              -2 for an anything Eames?
              I say I should gain points for having InStyle, Modernism and Atomic Ranch in my bathroom.

Comment

Working...
              X