Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Van carpet solutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Van carpet solutions

I just thought I'd share this....We have a VW van that seats 7. The back is huge. One row of seats faces the front and the other seats are rear-facing. There's a pop-up table that also fits in the middle.

Anyway...the carpet was already looking kind of gross after just a couple of years. The kids are occasionally allowed to eat in the car, which caused some of the unsightly blemishes, but..the biggest problem is the sand/dirt that they put on the roads here in the winter. We tried all kinds of rubber mats/fixes but nothing really seemed to work 100%. As a result, part of the carpet had ground salt/sand dirt in them that didn't come out despite my best efforts with the wet/dry vac.

Fix? I went to Menards and got a case of 45 vinyl tiles for $9.97. I thought I'd need more, so I actually bought 3 cases. Anyway...I basically cleaned the carpet thoroughly and let it dry..and then laid the tiles. I bought a really soft vinyl that is easily bent/cut etc....and finished the back and trunk areas. I like it so much I've decided to do the area where the front seats are too.....

I ran some countertop sealing stuff between the lines of the tile with a q-tip to invisibly seal between the tiles.

Really...WHY don't all vans come with vinyl tile? Who invented carpet for cars??????

I love this. It wipes off really easily and looks unique and great! I eventually want to buy a solid piece of vinyl and have it professionally installed. For now though, it looks good. I did have to tack down a couple of the corners with glue, but for the most part the tiles stuck to the carpet with no problem. I've been able to remove a couple to replace them. I'm glad I bought the 3 cases now....I'll have extra tiles for awhile.

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

That's a great idea!
    You're right...who ever thought of carpeting cars?

Comment

That IS a great idea! Good for you Kris! Maybe you should patent your idea?

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I actually thought about it...I wouldn't know where to start though, so I'm sure some entrepeneur lurking here will get the jump on me And how do you patent a different use for vinyl? Still....I wish I could 'invent' this as my idea. I could be a kept woman!
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

The Honda Element comes with hard interior,you can hose it out Unfortunatley, its ony going to fit 4 with 2 carseats.

Comment

Kris- You are so clever!

Jennifer
            Needs

Comment

Working...
            X