Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

...it's not over until the fat lady sings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...it's not over until the fat lady sings

So as you all know we are in our last year of training (INNER LEAP) and looking for jobs. This last year has been a blur but as usual, there have been some things I hadn't anticipated. (big surprise) You'd think I would have "been there done that" by now but I guess until the fat lady sings...

Anyway for those of you looking at the end of this wacky ride, a few things to think about...

1.) Since we did a residency (general surg) and then a fellowship, DH's written and oral boards (for the residency, not fellowship) were basically taken care of within the last 6 months. More specifically at the end of his first year of fellowship and the beginning of his second. So, all the drama surrounding studying and test taking is added into this year. Nice. (Sidenote: HE PASSED )

2.) Since this is the last year, doing well for the attendings who will be helping you to find a job is PARAMOUNT. Stress for DH. Stress for us. Not a lot of time at home.

3.) Factor in time to talk with attendings about "the future," time for discussions about new jobs that pop up, recommendations -- phone calls on the training doc's behalf....basically LOTS of time that could have been spent at home is now needed for other things.

4.) The job search: can you say TIME CONSUMING??? Emails, Cvs, phone calls, searching the web....it never ends.

5.) Interviewing....so weekends off are now "interviewing weekends plus a day." We've foudn that most interviews take three days. You leave in the morning, and don't get back home until the evening or night time two days later. That seems to be pretty standard.

There seems to be less time than usual for "having a life outside of medicine" and yet honestly, I have no idea how DH would manage anything better than he already is. He's doing a great job so this is not a post intended to be complaining....just an FYI for those of you who have this to look forward to.

The last year of training is emotionally FUN knowing this is the last time...etc. However, it is more demanding than ever with what needs to be accomplished etc.

Taking this year as it comes has been working so far but it has been exhausting too. So, until said "fat lady" sings we are still in "traning hell" now more than ever. If this life isn't better AFTER training I'm going to need a rubber room! :thud:

Hopefully this was helpful/informative to those of you longing, like me, for the END OF THIS!
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Happy for you but so sad for me....44months 7 days.....

Comment

Working...
    X