Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Need advice and opinions: Drive or fly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice and opinions: Drive or fly?

I'm still debating about how to handle the move when DD and I go to CA, and my job start date is November 28 . I have listed out pros/cons, but I would love to hear from all of you.

Cons of Driving:
    1. Driving with a two year old on a long ass trek. Need I say more?
    2. Driving obviously takes a LONG time, period.
    3. Safety issues (driving); I have friends/family I can stop in and see to check in.
    4. In reference to #3--what weather might I run into in November? Esp around Lake Tahoe, west coast areas.

Pros of Driving:
    1. We have the car when we arrive, without the worry of when it might show if it were shipped.
    2. I think driving would definitely be cheaper. I have shipping estimates for the car at $1100-1300, and plane tickets for both of us total about $800, so we're talking around $2000 at least.
    3. If we ship the car, we have to ship basic start up items. Driving we can put a carrier on top of the car (Passat Wagon), and carry stuff inside it. I could probably have a trailer if I needed to.
    4. We get to see family, friends, and go on an adventure.
    5. DH bought a really cool GPS system, so there's security there (plus we already made that investment).

What do you guys think, and if it were you, what would you do? Thanks! I really value your opinions!!

I can't speak to the toddler aspect, but I did drive from Oregon to Ohio with a butt-load of family pets. It was an adventure and a half, I'll tell you what.

Make sure your car is in tip-top condition. My fuel pump died in Eastern Oregon. DH and I had both cell phones and walkie-talkies, but when I had to stop on the side of the road he was out of range of the walkie-talkie almost immediately, and I was in a cell phone dead spot! I had to get my cats and dog out of the car that was quickly turning into an oven in 100+ degree weather, and then stand by the side of the road on the radiating blacktop, listening to rattlesnakes in the tall grass, and wait for him to notice I was missing, get worried enough to turn around, and then find an exit (which are few and far between in the boonies)! We then had to get a tow to Boise, Idaho and find a Ford dealer who could fix it the same day. It was crazy!

At least you won't have the weather to worry about once you get over the Rockies!

We took about three and a half days I think. I would hate to drive more than 10 hours per day; even that was kind of pushing it what with the cats who wouldn't pee until they got to the motel room.

Speaking of motels, on our most recent cross-country trip (vacation in Colorado) we booked motels ahead of time. This made our schedule less flexible, but it was more comforting than being exhausted from a day on the road and finding that every place is No Vacancy (happened once on our big move!)

AAA was indispensible, not only for the tow, but also for the maps and guidebooks to all the states we passed through.

Good luck!
    Alison

Comment

I would fly, but that's because I hate driving.

that said, on our Texas to DC, DC to Texas and California to DC jaunts, the booking of the hotel rooms in advance made a HUGE difference in the comfort level. When we did Cal to DC, we took our chances and ended up in the grossest hotel in Amarillo Texas. It was the kind of hotel that we clept all night in our clothes and didn't even shower in the morning. We figured we were safer stinky.

With a toddler (as with the dog) I'd plan on having to stop every few hours to let her blow off some steam and for you to relax and recharge. It'll take significantly longer with a toddler than if it were just you. We ended up stopping three times each day to stretch our legs and let the dog pee. (the cats stayed in the carriers because they're horrible in the car- crawl everywhere)

Definitely have AAA or another service that guarantees a tow and service. Have the car tuned up and tell them that you're going on a long distance trip.

Jenn

PS- I'd still fly

Comment

About two years ago, we were contemplating whether to fly or drive to Madison WI from Denver. After a 3 hour trip into the mountains, we came home and purchased airfare.

Not to say it can't be done....I agree with having a AAA membership.

We shipped a car from Denver to Portland. I called 4 places and BY FAR found a better deal through one company. They did a wonderful job, the driver was super polite and the car showed up at the beginning of the delivery window. If you want to get a quote from them, I will dig through my files and find it. The person who gave me their name ships a fair number of cars (ebay car fanatic) and has been happy with them.

Comment

Here is the car shipper website:
          http://www.autotrans1.com/

I forgot to mention that I called them and a few places to ship a car from MN to OR and they had the best price then, too. With the car shipping, figure in what you will spend on gas, hotel, and wear on your car (enough distance for an oil change). When we figured all that stuff for shipping DH's car, it made it seem a little better.

I'm not sure what route you would take, but the stretch of I-80 through Wyoming to SLC can be nasty in the winter (from dry and fine to super nasty conditions). Probably Nebraska too. Really, most of that area can get bad snowstorms and blizzards but I'm sure that the dry and safe days outweigh the bad.

Comment

We drove coast to coast in 3 days, but we didn't have any kids (only a cat) so it was pretty stress free. With a child, I would probably fly. Don't forget that you can write off most moving expenses so that will make flying more affordable.

Comment

I would sell the cars, buy a plane ticket , and lease a car for one month when I get there, then buy a car!!!! I would still take the Benadryl with me just in case.
              Luanne
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

We did DH's fourth year in Oakland, and lived in Berkeley. My sister lived in Palo Alto and I was at her house constantly so I feel like i know the area pretty well. I worked at a hospital in San Mateo and also one in Hayward AND i taught in Novato. Talk about mileage on my car! If you have any questions about living out there, or being a nurse out there, let me know.

But anyways, we shipped the car and flew out there. Partly cause our car was a lease and we couldnt have the miles on it. We also shipped it home when we left. We had no probs, and paid $800 from NYC to SF, and then SF to Florida was another $800. It was really worth it to me. They say you cant have 'much' stuff in the car, but I crammed the trunk totally full and got lots of stuff out that way. If DH was with us on the drive I would drive it, but reluctantly. I think it is all about what it is worth financially and personally to you.
                Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Luanne is brilliant.

just thought i'd point that out

Comment

Thanks Tracy, but I', not sure if you are referring to the car or the Benadryl.
                    Luanne
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Marla, I can't talk about the toddler aspect b/c I don't have kids but expect snow in the Sierras in November and rain in most of the bay area. When I moved to CA it was February, granted we were driving a UHaul and towing my car but the Sierras were NOT fun in the snow.

The weather you will find in CA is that around Thanksgiving it will start raining and then it will rain pretty consistently until mid-February. So if you're getting rain the Sierras are getting snow.

Did you find daycare, a place to live? Let me know if you need any recommendations still. I was just there a few weeks ago and I miss it some. You'll love living there for your DH's short fellowship, then you'll be ready to get back to "normal" life that doesn't cost a fortune!
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We just made the drive from VA to IA with kiddies in tow. I would have gone crazy if my Mom had not come with me- seriously. Which brings me to my suggestion- can a friend/family member fly out, drive with you, and then fly home? Their plane ticket may be chaper than shipping cars/renting car/shipping household items. It feels safer, and it is more fun to chat with someone with a vocabulary of an adult. It could be really fun with the right traveling companion.
                        Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

We drove from Fl to MN in a plymouth breeze with 3 children and a 65 pound Australian Shephard dog.....What I liked about driving was having a little more control over things...no waiting in airports, eating when served, etc etc...All of the kids got 'car-friendly' activities and we stopped every 2-3 hours when they were awake at play areas or rest stations to stretch our legs and run around. It took us 3 days....but ultimately was fine.

kris
                          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

The farthest I have driven alone with kids is from SC to IN last summer. We broke the 14 hour trip up into two days. Our lifesaver was the DVD player. I had a cooler and plenty of snacks and books in the front seat to pass back often. I don't mind driving so it wasn't too terrible. Although we did drive through the moutains there wasn't have threats of snow. I would do whatever you are comfortable doing. Will your new job cover any moving expenses or flights?

Good luck with your decision, Marla. You are brave!

Jennifer
                            Needs

Comment

The farthest I have driven alone with kids is from SC to IN last summer. We broke the 14 hour trip up into two days. Our lifesaver was the DVD player. I had a cooler and plenty of snacks and books in the front seat to pass back often. I don't mind driving so it wasn't too terrible. Although we did drive through the moutains there wasn't have threats of snow. I would do whatever you are comfortable doing. Will your new job cover any moving expenses or flights?

Good luck with your decision, Marla. You are brave!

Jennifer
                              Needs

Comment

Working...
                              X