Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

stinky dishwasher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stinky dishwasher

Why does it stink? Logic tells me that it gets washed every time the dishes do. It smells like rotten food even though there is none that I can find unless there is a secret compartment I dont know about. I keep dumping pine sol in it but I swear I smell the stinkiness over the pine sol. Any suggestions?
    Mom to three wild women.

Clean something in the bottom? It sounds like something is stuck in there. Yuck. I think I know the smell you are talking about.

Our dishwasher has a basket/trap sort of deal that needs to be cleaned out periodically. One time I was cleaning and thought "why don't I just put this in the dishwasher?"...

Our dishwasher manual recommended running it with _______. I'm drawing a blank. I'll see if I can remember. Vinegar? Or is that for a coffeemaker???

Comment

I was going to say Vinegar too but maybe that is only for coffee pots?? With all the cleaning products on the market, there should be one for washing dishwashers!

Comment

Aren't dishwashers also hooked up to the same pipe as the garbage disposal? If you can't get the inside of the machine/basket cleaned out, you may have a blockage in the pipe that leads away from the machine...either from food coming out or in????

Just thought I'd throw out the expensive repair option... :!
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Just thought I'd throw out the expensive repair option...

I looked in my dishwasher manual (surprisingly readable) and saw no mention of vinegar. Where did that come from? Anyway, the manual says to check and clean the "large object trap" and the "microfilter." Maybe there is some little goodie in there waiting for you. You might be able to clean the spray arms too. I've found some weird stuff stuck in there.

Have fun!

Comment

Nellie - why do you know where your dishwasher manual is??

I'm trying to figure out how my gas fireplace works and thus far have been too lazy to find the manual (and it could blow me up).

Keep in mind "trying to figure out" means I've looked at it pretty hard.

Comment

Sorry, Jenn, we left our gas fireplace manual in a nice little stack for our buyer -- along with all the other manuals, keys, etc. Otherwise I would tell you what it says. And by "we", I mean my husband. My incredibly A/R husband. That is why I know where the dishwasher manual is. It's within reaching distance of the computer. (otherwise I wouldn't have looked for it)

Comment

This may sound crazy, but I think it works. A tip from "Heloise's Hints". Buy a cannister of Tang Orange drink mix, put 1/2 cup powder in dishwasher and run a full cycle.
                Luanne
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Ah....Luanne, just wants everyone to think that she is getting an advanced nursing degree.....

I can see through this....."Heloise!"

Comment

I've heard the Tang thing too....

We've had stuf stuck in the trap at the bottom of the dishwasher many times. Some models make it removable, but on others you have to unscrew the plastic filter and scoop out the junk. Good times.
                    Angie
                    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Thank you so much! I will look for the trap. It really makes me wonder what Tang does to my insides if it is capable of cleaning a dishwasher.
                      Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Originally posted by suwannee
                        It really makes me wonder what Tang does to my insides if it is capable of cleaning a dishwasher.

Everytime I hear a reference to Tang I think of an episode of "That '70s Show" where Kelso (Ashton Kutcher's character) is looking at some informational material or something about becoming an astronaut and says, "Sweet! It says here that astronauts get all the Tang they want!"
                        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Cleaning out the trap sounds like a good plan to me. They also seel a special Jet Dry Dishwasher Cleaner that I am sure you could get at a local store. It might be worth a try.

Good luck, and I hope it smells nice soon!
                          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Did a google search:

Bad odors in the Dishwasher

Dishwashers which are properly installed and regularly used won't normally have a problem with bad odors.Even though manufacturers insist that you can throw dirty dishes in the unit with food on them, common sense tells us this food has to go somewhere. Usually, the particulate is held in some type of filter until the drain cycle, where it is expelled along with the water.
                            Check the following first:

• Was the drain hose brought in at the top of the cabinet, or down near the floor? (it must be 34" from the floor)

Do you run the unit at least once every 2 days? (recommended) Run a cycle with a quart of vinegar to clean the tub and pump.

Does the disposal tend to back up slightly when the dishwasher drains? (Drain may be clogged or disposer may have dull grind blades.)

Don't use gel detergent!

Check your water softener. (If so equipped) These can cause foul odors in the water supply if not properly balanced or maintained.

For really superior cleaning and odor control, use Dishwasher Magic!
                            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

LOL, I've actually used the tang,and I'm not sure if it worked or not, but I drank the rest with Vodka!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luanne
                              Luanne
                              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                              X