Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Has anyone had mono?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had mono?

What were your symptoms?
    Needs

Oh yeah. I had it for 2 weeks when I was 15. Your main symptom is that you SLEEP .... all of the time. I remember talking on the phone with the guy I adored and waking up hours later b/c I'd fallen asleep mid-conversation. I was 15 so I don't remember if there was fever or anything else ... just a LOT of sleep.

Comment

Low grade fever, mild sore throat and a crushing, crushing fatigue. I had it in college. It was totally depressing. I was diagnosed after I ended up crying in frustration because I couldn't get anything done. Walking up the street was like the March of Tears or something. The other symptoms were not as obvious. If you have it, rest when you can and eat hard candy. For some reason, the constant drip of sugar can help fight the fatigue. Still - you'll have to take your activity level down a notch or two. I hope you feel better!
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I had it also whan I was 15 and I felt that same way as Jen and Angie...extremely tired! Although, I don't remember much of a fever but I had the worst sore throat for days/weeks and couldn't eat at all. It was miserable and I lost alot of weight Hey, maybe I can get it again and lose it without having to work at it. :> I sincerely hope you don't have it.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's what I had about two and a half years ago. I was tired all the time - in a completely unnatural way. I kept running a low-grade fever and I just remember feeling terrible. It went on for a good month. I kept telling myself it was "just a cold" but in hindsight it was truly much worse than that. Having looked over the symptoms of mono now I really think I should've gone in to the doctor and that I would've been diagnosed with it.
          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
          With fingernails that shine like justice
          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I have been feeling this way for two weeks now. I'm not pregnant and can't seem to get enough rest and I have a terrible sore throat. The PCP put me on my second dose of antibiotics which probably won't work.

I called DH and had the following conversation:

Me: I just got back from the DR. and I have mono.

HIM: Are you shitting me?

ME: No, He said, I can't do anything for the next two weeks including caring for the kids.

HIM: How does he suggest we do that when I have to work for the next 12 days in a row?

Me: I don't know, but that is what he said.

HIM: I have never heard of that. They always prescribe rest and fluids.

Me: Well, what do you think resting means? Assuming full care of the kids like I do now? Don't you want me to get better?

HIM: You know I do, but there is no way that I can take off two weeks of work.

He started to panic so I told him I was kidding. It's nice to know I have a backup.

Jennifer
            Needs

Comment

I got it really bad in college- it started out as a mild cold that just turned really bad- at one point my throat was so swollen I could barely breath. I remember that is about when I went to the doctor, and they ran some tests, and sure enough it came back positive for Mono. Not to mention that my liver and my spleen doubled in size- my spleen was about the size of a softball. The doc was really concerned about my spleen size and I was almost hospitilized because my spleen was so enlarged from the mono they wanted me close by if it ruptured. Thank goodness it didn't. I think the doc said it was the worse case he had seen in a long time, and he had been practicing medicine for a while. I guess when I get sick I have to do it all the way.

Along with the fever, sore throat- white patches, swollen throat, there was intense fatigue. It took me about 2 months to recover, before my blood counts came back normal, and I wasn't showing a positive mono test.

If you have a virus, antibiotics won't do a thing. I would ask your PCP if he thinks you have a bacterial sinus infection or strep throat.

I hope you feel better. Unfortunately if you have mono- antibiotics won't do anything because it's a virus. Just plenty of rest, fluids, no sports or rough activity (at least that is what I was told) until I got over it.

Crystal
              Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Wow, Crystal! That sounds like an awful experience for you. The PCP's rationale for the 2nd dose of antibiotics was to have me sitting on the toilet in order to forget how tired I am. Just kidding. He said that if it is bacterial then the first dose didn't cover it.

I am pretty sure it is just a virus so these meds are just draining our health spending account. I am the most average person there is and the worst thing I have ever done to myself was sprain and ankle. I bet if I took the mono test it would probably be negative. I was hardly sick growing up and I didn't wear glasses, braces or ever need crutches. However, since kids and around germs 24/7 being sick is on a whole new level for me.

Jennifer
                Needs

Comment

I had the spleen issue, too. You should make sure you get checked for that. It's easy - just have DH see if your spleen is tender. When the Dr prodded mine it was like agony. Anyway -- Crystal's advice reminded me because the only serious danger was that if you did do "rough" activity, you could rupture your spleen when it is enlarged. I was told to stay out of crowds. And no subway. They were very serious about it. I imagine with little kids, you might have some rough housing. Stop it, now!!
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
                  X