Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Albany, New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albany, New York

Lived there for four years for med school. Ask anything you want. I know it all. Chad and I even know a lot of the people there. What specifics are you looking for?

Heidi
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

We came very close to accepting a job there. PM me for more info!

Comment

I's sending you a PM.

Comment

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

One word: COLD.
          Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Okay...would I live there?

No. Not a chance, not in a million years, ever again.

Most people who I know who live there hate living there.

That's not to say that maybe other people would like it. It just does not fit my taste. It is really, really cold. It snows a lot. It is gray and gloomy a lot of the time. Eight-Nine months of winter. Hot in the summer. The city itself is kind of dirty. There isn't a lot to do at all. People are for the most part pretty rude. There are always nice ones to be found though. The biggest draw it claimed to prospective interviewees was its proximity to Boston, New York, and Montreal. The taxes are really expensive, including property taxes. Housing costs are about average.

I think they have some really pretty nice schools (public). I don't know about private schools. It is difficult to get around in Albany. I would recommend not living in the city itself. I would consider Demar/Bethlehem/Selkirk (15 minutes to Albany Med) or Menands/Colonie. A lot of physicians live in Niskayuna, but that is a huge, long commute depending on what hospital. I am assuming Albany Med here.

Albany Med itself is old. The facilities are crappy.

Of my group of four friends, we all HATED Albany and couldn't wait to leave. Three of us are gone. One is still there and just waiting until her husband can get a transfer.

The trees can be pretty in the summer and fall.

Comment

If it helps at all - I love Kansas City. I've been able to adjust here rather nicely, I think. I really like the city part - lots of stuff to do (kind of like a mini-Chicago), and you don't have to go far to be "away" from everything, either.

Just a plug to bring more imsn member to the REAL midwest.

Comment

Oh yeah. What I meant to say is that KC is lovely, and there is a housing community of folks with goiters who are just waiting for the perfect endocrine surgeon to come their way.

Comment

Working...
                X