Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

fema fema bo beema...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fema fema bo beema...

OK...more FEMA BS.

As many of you know, my brother went down to NO shortly after Katrina to work clean-up and roof tarping...and was promised a hefty wage that never came through. He was promised a hotel room etc but instead ended up sleeping in a tent in a camp that was watched over by the national guard. Right before paychecks came out, the company officals came out and basically said...we're not going to pay the $250/day as promised...instead, you'll get $8/hr....so the camp pretty much cleared out.

Fast forward...My mom's neighbor has a son who was working for a big FEMA company. This guy talked to my brother and got him a job paying $25/hour (10-12 hour days...6days a week) plus $40/day food vouchers plus travel costs/plus a hotel room....and my brother received a contract from said company that was also signed by someone from FEMA. He arrived in NO a little over a month ago and immediately received $200 just for the trip out....then he was put up in a motel and given his food vouchers for the week.....all seemed well....until the first pay period for 1 week of work, where they told the guys that they were still getting them into the system and that the money would follow on their next check 2 weeks later. The team my brother was working with agreed to stay on for two more weeks and they anticipated checks pre-tax of ~$4000.00

They were building trailers for displaced NO occupants. My brother said that the weirdest thing was that they built and built and built .... and many were move-in ready...and yet they are telling people that they don't have any temporary trailers....and so they are all sitting empty.

Anyway....the week my brother was supposed to get paid, FEMA stopped providing their meal vouchers...(these were provided by FEMA)...and then the motel asked the boys to leave because FEMA had not paid the bill. This was just a few days before thanksgiving. By this time, the guys were dead broke and couldn't eat. My mom had to wire money to get them back home to TX. In addition, they were NOT PAID. The company said that FEMA had not paid them...FEMA said that the company had made a mistake. A big meeting ensued where the FEMA guy and the company guy went at it.....the boys came home.

My brother kept calling the FEMA guy and finally got in touch with him. He was told that FEMA would personally cut him and his team their checks that day and that they would be overnighted the next day. Days later, the check hadn't arrived. Again, my brother called....the man assured him that the checks would be cut "that day"...that there had been a little glitch...and that they would be overnighted the next day.

Again...they have not arrived. The kicker...my brother was kicked out of his apartment for failure to pay the rent...that he was still paying despite being out-of-town...so that he would have a place to come back to. Now he has no job...and nowhere to live.

To me...this is outrageous.
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

That is truly despicable. Can I blame this on George W too?
    Luanne
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

That's terrible Kris, I hope he gets paid soon!
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Outrageous is a very good word. I hope it gets straightened out soon, Kris. Your brother should call a news outlet - one of those investigative reporter types and sic them on fema's butt.

Comment

Originally posted by j3qpatel
          Your brother should call a news outlet - one of those investigative reporter types and sic them on fema's butt.
          I agree. This situation is total BS. Apparently the same has happened to a fair number of guys here, who like your brother left jobs for this. I'm sure that the guy who keeps giving your brother the run-around is getting paid!!!!

Comment

That is absolutely awful!

Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
            With fingernails that shine like justice
            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Working...
            X