Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

medical lifestyle definitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• medical lifestyle definitions

So when I was just posting I was thinking that we all have some "terms" we have made up or heard from other medical spouses to describe the lifestyle we lead or the characters in this line of work.

Disclaimer -- these are not all from me, a few of them are stolen!

For example:

Surgery La La land: I use that when I'm describing the place all surgeons seem to go when they are SO CLUELESS about how their job effects anyone but them, AND they think what they do is nirvana.

Post call mania: awake but not functioning -- eyes are open but not seeing -- if you didn't know better you would think said doc was high on narcotics

Blah Blah attending: used to decsribe an attending who can A.) only talk of medicine and B.) only talk about himself/herself AND medicine
    has no idea how to function out of the hospital

tree-doc: someone who will get their MD, finish residency and go off and use their services to help third world countries

He/She's a "Dr. Dick": Urologist

What are your terms????

Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

We are currently involved in the:

Unfellowship (nothing friendly or fellowlike about it)

That's all I can think of at the moment, I'm sure there are more.

Jenn

Comment

My dh calls urologists "penis machinists", and his good friend, the dermatologist, a "pimple popper"*.
      I can't think of the others right now, I'll have to get back to you.

*He only calls his friend that in jest, I swear he isn't a jerk!
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Originally posted by SueC

*He only calls his friend that in jest, I swear he isn't a jerk!
        Sometimes I call DH that -- Pimple Popper MD (from Sienfeld). Especially if I just heard about some sort of pussy gross thing being popped (or whatever the correct medical term is).

A friend of ours who is a hospitalist would always talk about specialties on a penis to brain spectrum. So, as an internist, he leaned to the more "penis" side of things and doing procedures, etc and that is why he is a hospitalist who still toys with doing a critical care fellowship. (Dude, you're done! Step away from the university!)

Comment

Originally posted by SueC
          My dh calls urologists "penis machinists".
          Ahem. My DH prefers to be referred to as a "plumber."

He calls internal medicine people "fleas," I guess since they wear their stethoscopes around their necks which look like flea collars.
          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by migirl
            He calls internal medicine people "fleas," I guess since they wear their stethoscopes around their necks which look like flea collars.
            I thought it was because they just hang on to someone...until they're gone.

Comment

My dh says pathologists know EVERYTHING, but they do it all a day late.

Comment

radiology= radi-holiday for the cush lifestyle

Kelly
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                X