Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Old issue; dawkter's wife myth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old issue; dawkter's wife myth

One of those very typical responses frequently complained about but I have no idea how to respond to….

I had a conversation with another mom at my son’s class this morning. The mom is very nice and we always have a good time talking. Today I told her what dh does (after three months of this weekly class). Her response was that it was tough now, but we’ll have our glory days in just a few years. Then she went on to talk about her friend married to a urologist who was making 350K/year, blah, blah, blah.

Okay. So what do you people do when you are faced with this notion of what the dawkter’s life is all about? I changed the subject, not feeling up to spending my morning thinking about the road ahead or dispelling any myths in the ten minutes left.

I'm still surprised by the difference between perception and reality here.

Janet

I had a friend (hs-er) who, during a playdate with all of our kids, decided to spring the very same comment at me. I think she regretted it after I spent a good half hour explaining exactly what our financial situation had been during medical school and is now during residency. Then I told her about the financial predicament of the majority of doctors upon leaving training.

I think the best way to cure ignorance is by education. I take the time to completely clear up misconceptions and trample stereotypes as often as I can! Be friendly about it - but be clear that your reality is far different than her perception.

Jennifer
    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
    With fingernails that shine like justice
    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

We're going to a family reunion tomorrow. I'll let you know how good we have it sometime after then.

Comment

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Nothing to report.

The presence of 5 babies shifted the focus from DH's career onto whether or not I was going to try for another before I got too old.

Comment

The good thing about NY (one of many ) is that most people make more than even attendings, so upon learning that DH is in residency, everyone feels bad for me. Our neighbors across the hall were asking what he does (as he slams the door every morning at 5:30am). When I told him that DH is a resident, the response was "That sucks, they probably work him to the bone."

Comment

Working...
            X