Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

WHAT IS.....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT IS.....?

]
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Honestly, I hate business casual because I feel like it is hard to get right. Here's my take -- a sweater set and nicer pants/slacks or skirt. A necklace to dress it up a bit more. I'll bet Vishenka can be much more helpful.

Oh, I remember the "business casual" code for the interview dinners. Is this too casual? Too dressy? Don't want to look under-dressed and don't want to look stiff and over-dressed.

Comment

Hopefully Vishenka will be checking in shortly!

I would wear a nice pair of pants and a sweater and nice jacket. More than chinos and a sweater set but not a full-blown "Job Interview Suit".

But that's just me, and as I've mentioned I've been wearing the same sweaty outfit for hours now. I might not be the best to answer...

Jenn

Comment

Just to clarify -- by sweater set I am thinking a nicer silk type than cotton type.

Comment

Comment

I guess it also depends on where you are located. I'd wear more here than in the South. Also things are more casual in certain parts of the country. (Like the California desert- man those people don't wear closed toe shoes EVER.)

We had this discussion when trying to figure out what to wear to the orphanage last December. The Russians all wear spike heels in the snow. and gorgeous fur coats. I didn't want to freeze but I didn't want to look like my husband's little brother, either.

Whoever invented business casual should be shot.

Jenn

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by mom2three
                I enjoy so much your point blank sarcasm. Im always so worried to offend someone with mine So, I make an effort to hold it in....hmmm, maybe I'll start to unleash the little devil :>
                No holding in. It makes the rest of us look bad. Let it out, you little devil.
                Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Oh, man, if I held it in, I'd explode.

I swear, every job performance evaluation that I've ever had mentioned my sarcasm...not that I actually learned from any of them. I figured if they want my incredible intelligence, they'll get my scathing wit, too. and I've never been fired. (except from Hardee's when I was 15, and really- brown polyester with a plastic baseball hat? I'd have lasted another 3 days, tops) (although, in all seriousness, I have outlasted every boss I've ever had. I have NO ONE to give me a reference because they all quit before I did. or were fired. My last boss swore she'd outlast me. ummm, nope)

(maybe I need to rethink going back to work, huh?)

There's a place for bitter, scathing, cynicism and if the medical spouse website isn't it, I don't know where "it" would be.

Jenn

Comment

Yeah, I used to be a "nice" girl and censor myself.

That didn't work so well for me. So I embrace my inner smart ass and let it rip.

Kelly
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to stay away for this long. Darn job kept me busy. Ok, since I've been wearing nothing but business casual for the past 5 years, this is super easy. Basically it means anything between chinos/jeans and a suit.

For the bottom, I would go with either wool pants or a skirt (at least hitting the knee). Pants/skirt needs to be structured, something with a linning is good, something with elastic band is bad. Err on the side of caution and go with something that can be a bottom of a suit. Since you might be cold in shoes, nice looking (preferrably with some sort of a skinny heel) and POLISHED boots either knee high with a skirt or shorter with the pants are fine. Short boots with a skirt are a huge NO.

For the top, a sweater set (as earlier mentioned) is a very good option. In this weather a wool or cashemere blend would be optimal. NO COTTON! Silk is good but looks more formal (unless some sort of a blend). A nice v-neck with pearls would be good too. Turtlenecks look too casual, crewnecks are ok, but I think v-necks or boatnecks are best for these situations. If you don't like necklaces (as close to the neck as possible and pearls should be as chunky as you should go), pins are good too. But once again err on the side of caution and go with something less bold. If you're too confused, just put on a pair of small earrings (nothing dangling) and you're done.

And please make sure you have a small purse. Diaper bag is not a purse.

Comment

Comment

Always glad to help with any fashion advice. Let me know if anything needs a clarification or pictorial examples. I figured with 3 little kids, you probably haven't had a use for a small purse in years.

Comment

Working...
                          X