Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Me....whining!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me....whining!

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Gah, that sucks.

I understand about the handwashing and kids. Seriously, I fantasize about washing my hands only after *I* use the bathroom.

Maybe using rubber gloves might help?

Sleeping with plain white cotton gloves and hands slathered in lotion?

Comment

That stinks. I have been washing my hands more and washing a lot of dishes since being part time at the bakery. My hands are starting to look and feel pretty bad. Ouch. But no surgeries. Yikes!

Have you tried Aquaphor or the Neutrogena super-concentrated hand cream? DH suggested trying the waterless soap if there isn't actual poo on your hands.

Comment

I use this Neutrogena Norwegian formula hand cream--it almost looks like vaseline but it really moisturizes my hands. I get extremely dry hands this time of year, that eventually crack and bleed (ouch!) so I know what you're talking about.
        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I'm sorry your hands hurt so much. Have you considered a hand sanitizer as oppsed to all the washing. It might help. Also, I agree about putting gloves on at night with moisturixer or vaseline.

I hope your hands feel better soon.
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Comment

I'm right there with you. I also use the neutrogena norwegian non-fragrance stuff, every time I wash my hands. I use gloves when I change the baby.
              And my hands are still cracked and dry. My dermatologist also told me to avoid very hot water - this was the mistake I made with the first kid - always washing with soap and scalding water. I guess I was overenthusiastic in my war on germs.
              My wife usually gives the baths, which is a great relief, but this rotation it's impossible, and my hands suffer horribly from bath-giving.
              Enabler of DW and 5 kids
              Let's go Mets!

Comment

I was going to suggest the same thing, slathering your hands with very thick lotion every night and then wearing gloves to bed (or socks ). Another thing that might help is parafin treatment. It's doable at home but messy. Can you ask for a certificate to a local nail place for Christmas?

Comment

Zim's Crack Cream

Do you guys use the powdered gloves? I find that those really dry my hands out. It’s more expensive to get the gloves without powder, but that has really helped me. My hands usually crack and bleed during winter. When I was working in microbiology I picked up the bad habit of washing my hands too many times a day. Our supervisor bought us some Zim’s Crack Cream. Yes, this is actually a lotion for your hands. It works really well. I do have to warn you that it does have a smell to it though. It smells like Christmas trees. So if you don’t like the smell then I would say don’t get it. Hope your hands get better. I know how much it hurts.
                  Christy

Comment

Originally posted by mom2three
                    Also, about the sanitizer gel...doesnt that have alcohol in it? If so, that would just dry them out more??
                    I'll ask but I think the alcohol is less drying than the water exposure.

At night, use the Aquaphor or thick Neutrogena stuff with the gloves -- regular lotion won't cut it.

Comment

I put Bag Balm on my feet when they get really dry, and then wear white socks to bed.

http://www.bagbalm.com/

You can get it at most drug stores.

Smells nasty, but works amazingly well. It has lanolin in it, so if you're allergic it won't help, but otherwise its awesome.

Comment

Comment

I love bag balm.
                          Luanne
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Do you wear rubber gloves when you do dishes? That really helps me. I also put some lotion on before I put the gloves on, which can make it tricky to pull them on, but the gloves in warm water feel really good.

Comment

Re: Zim's Crack Cream

Originally posted by zigaggie
                              Do you guys use the powdered gloves? I find that those really dry my hands out. It’s more expensive to get the gloves without powder, but that has really helped me.
                              ummm....can you say "smuggle them out of the hospital"
                              Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                              Let's go Mets!

Comment

Working...
                              X