Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Holiday Meal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday Meal?

What's everone cooking this year? I, truthfully, have given it no thought.

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Hotdogs on the grill.

Comment

with a side of Mac & Cheese.

Comment

Sounds yummy, Matt
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I think we are going to have pot roast.

Comment

I still haven't figured this Christmas dinner thing out.

My husband wants to get back to his Swedish roots, though. So, for Christmas breakfast we're going to have Rosettes (deep fried Swedish cookies - kind of like donuts) with powder sugar, syrup, and jam.

Maybe for Christmas eve and Christmas day dinners we should get back to other roots? He's also half Mexican so maybe we could do tamales for Christmas? And, now Kris, what is something German (my heritage) that we could have on Christmas eve?
            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
            With fingernails that shine like justice
            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I'm trying a ham and corn casserole.

Kelly
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Jennifer -- My MIL used to make rosettes, too. Sometimes she would find lingonberry jam.

If you want to do something Swedish for dinner, you could make Swedish meatballs. Another thing DH loved was krumkake filled with whipped cream. I'm pretty sure it is Scandinavian and not just Norwegian. I think you need a pizelle-like iron for it, or maybe they are the same thing? Glogg is Swedish -- it's spiced wine but I'm sure you could do it with cider and fruit juices and it would be just as yummy.

Comment

Originally posted by nmh
                  Sometimes she would find lingonberry jam.
                  Available at Ikea.

Comment

Here's the agreed upon menu:

Christmas eve: Tamales

Christmas breakfast: Rosettes

Christmas dinner: Seafood (we're thinking crabcakes, shrimp, maybe a bit of clam chowder, corn on the cob, garlic potatoes, rolls)

And, I HAVE to make the requisite cute sugar cookies with decorative icing at some point. Although, my husband has been very vocal about the fact that Santa prefers Golden Grahams s'mores bars....

Jennifer

Comment

Eat out or cater in....tain't no kind o' cooking going on in this little apartment!

Comment

Jennifer, you HAVE to post your recipe for tamales! They are my favorite and I haven't had any decent ones since we moved.

I'm not sure what we'll be having yet so I loved hearing about everyone elses ideas and traditions. In our 12 year relationship this is the 1st time that we will be spending Christmas in our own home. My sister's birthday is on Christmas Eve, so my family would always go out to eat that night and have birthday cake afterwards. My mom would make a big breakfast on Christmas morning and then we'd have lasagna for Christmas dinner. Now that we live far from our families, we need to come up with our own traditions. I think this year we'll start a new tradition of making smores on Christmas Eve. I thought it would be a fun thing to do when Andrew gets older....plus, I love smores! I'm stuck on what to do for the meals, though.

Comment

My husband has to call his mom tonight to get the recipe.

The one ingredient I'm worried about finding out here are the corn husks to steam them in.

I'll post the recipe when I get it.

Jennifer

Comment

]
                            ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Christmas Eve: Spaghetti and Meatballs, salad and garlic bread....tradition!!
                              Christmas Day: Turkey, mashed potatoes, butternut squash thingee, string beans with almonds .....and whipped cream cake for dessert. Tradition, Part II.

NY eve: Chinese take out, and coffee ice cream with gingersnaps, champagne and cards (usually bridge or pinochle depending on who we rope in). No one to play with yet. We may have to play rummy or chess/go instead.

We are so boring.
                              Angie
                              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
                              X