Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Thinking of Florida.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of Florida.....

...what do you think of when someone says "Florida?"

Might cause thoughts of sandy beaches, sun, palm trees, maybe even a seagull, dolphin or a flamingo....
    Well, here is a little story for you.
    So, last night I was taking a shower....which was good for me, as it had been two days. Anyway, I was about to begin the shaving process when DW says, 'I think I heard something outside'. About this time, our killer cairn terrier starts going crazy- mind you, this is about 8:45p and both boys are sleeping. I was about to throttle the dog for barking like that in the house, especially if he woke them up!
    So, there I was with a towel on, going to look out the windows near the front door. Gretchen was in tow and looking out the other windows.
    I notice some movement in the front yard and can make out a bag of some kind near a very large and dark object. I think that there is a person out there and they are stealing things from our neighborhood, as most everyone has some kind of decoration in their yard.
    Then suddenly the bag is dropped and the dark object begins to move toward the house and through our front yard.
    Yeah, it was a VERY large black bear. Just turning over trash cans and ripping open their bags of trash, in our yard!
    It walked about 15 feet from our front door, then between our house and the neighbor house.
    Our neighborhood backs to the Reserve that is owned by Eglin Air Force Base (the largest in the world with nearly 1 million acres of forest).
    It was pretty neat, but scary too as we have been outside at those times before.

So, I just wanted to share that we have already had a "Beary" Merry Christmas!

we weren't able to get any pictures of it, our digital camera broke about a month ago, and in the commotion I couldn't locate the video camera until it was already gone.

Wow....see, when you asked the question, "what do you think of when you think of Florida" I was going to say 'disgusting pametto bugs', alligators in swimming pools and a sewage system backup into our shower. Obviously, I don't share the worlds' romantic notion of Florida

I thought you were going to way an alligator was in your backyard. A BLACK BEAR, Matt? I would have been scared out of my mind. I can't believe you went OUTSIDE! Someone should come and throttle YOU... How did you get rid of it?

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Beary Christmas is right!

Comment

Goodness, Kris....remember I was in just a towel! I am sure that the neighbors already think I am out of my mind, since I only wear shorts year-round.(it is Florida!) I can't imagine what they would have thought had they seen me in a towel trying to get a picture with a bear!

We just left it alone, called the sheriff department and then listened to see if we could hear it in the neighbors backyard. The local dogs were all going crazy!
        It was about 4 feet tall on all fours and about 5-6 feet long. We were going to make it do anything it didn't want to do!

Comment

Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
          With fingernails that shine like justice
          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Headline:

Crazy Florida man chased naked through neighborhood by 6 foot long Black Bear....found up in a neighbors tree with his camera screaming at his wife and kids "it's broken, I couldn't get the picture damnit!"

:>

Comment

*bumping* for Matt :>

Comment

Wait a second: You and your wife run out of the house wearing nothing but towels one evening to see a humongous bear heading into your yard while you try to film it? The hilarity of that just hit me (I was simply shocked before).

Man, I wish I was your neighbor taping YOU! You, my friend, will be the talk of the block if anyone witnessed that.

Comment

I can't imagine what they would have thought had they seen me in a towel trying to get a picture with a bear!

On the other hand, got to tell DH that Florida is out of the running. Not sure if bears in the back yard is a bit too much nature for me.

Comment

Hilarious!
                    Needs

Comment

Amen Vishenka- give me the rats and squirrels of city living anyday.

Holy Crap Matt? did he/she/it make the AFB newspaper at least?

Jenn

Comment

Well, we don't live on base or near the flight line anyway. We are about 20 miles from the main gate.
                        Last night, Winnie the Pooh, came for another visit to the neighbors trash. I was outisde trying to get it on video again....with clothes on this time! My 76yo neighbor, who is retired from two arms of the military, actually saw it this time too. He saw him with his ultra special night vision googles (did I mention that he is part of the "Minuteman" movement that was all about watching the borders...long, crazy story).
                        Anyway, we were standing in my driveway trying to see it, and then it makes this loud sniffing sound from the trees across from our house...Gretchen said that was the funniest thing she had seen in a long time, me running for the house, and our elder neighbor high stepping to his house.
                        Anyway, we have contacted the wildlife management from the reserve and they are going to come out and see if they can locate it tonight. Should be more entertainment.

We live in an area of Florida that people tend to forget is actually Florida. We are about 40 miles from Pensacola and 30 miles off the water. No where near the "fun" parts of the state, Disney, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville....bascially we are in the woods, with the deers.....and bears.

Comment

OK, adding the neighbor with the night-vision goggles on the look out for illegals crossing the border in the panhandle of Florida to my visualization of these events. Too funny!

Comment

Originally posted by gmdcblack
                            He saw him with his ultra special night vision googles (did I mention that he is part of the "Minuteman" movement that was all about watching the borders...long, crazy story).

This is getting better and better!

My grandparents lived outside of Ft. Myers for a while and there was all sorts of wildlife there, including a rumored jaguar (or something like that?), armadillos, alligators, snakes, all sorts of stuff. A definite change of pace when we visited and much different than the deer and elk or occasional coyote of the foothills of Colorado!

Comment

Forget the bear. I want Gretchen taping you! Be careful (of the bear AND the neighbor)!

Comment

Working...
                              X