Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

AOL troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOL troubles

warning: rant ahead!

DH and I have never had - and now will NEVER have - AOL. For weeks now I have been getting calls looking for the guy who *used* to have this #. (and they're not the only ones looking for him) And for weeks now, I have been explaining that I am NOT who they are looking for and I have no idea who it is. There is one b!tch in particular who keeps calling me and hangs up when I tell her(yet again) that I am not 'X'. And I ask to speak to the supervisor and she ALWAYS hangs up on me!!! And they start calling at 8 am and call several times after that.

We keep reporting them to the FTC do not call people and I *keep* calling AOL and each time they swear they are taking care of it. And then they try to sell me their service. Do we have to call our attorney to draft a threatening letter for us? Like they would give a toot anyway. Does anyone have any ideas before I have a stroke? I just talked with someone again :argue: and they took care of it. Yeah right.

Have I mentioned that if you google our phone #, you get multiple hits for Shortline Bus? Yeah, we get a lot of calls wondering how much it is to go to NYC. And some people have the nerve to give me attitude because *I* haven't updated the internet. (I tried) AND I'm supposed to have their new # handy.

Many, many thanks if you've read this far. Help!

all I can offer is commiseration. it seems our # has been listed in a new add in "pennywise" so we've started to get calls: 8 yesterday and 12 today. Also, there is someone looking for Lucius who keeps calling and leaving messages even though our message on our answering maching sounds nothing like a Lucius.

Comment

Oh yes, I can speak to that! I have had lots of people calling me looking for the deadbeat that used to have the number that my fax number currently has. The crazy thing is that 2 different guys had this number and the collection agencies are after both of them. I've finally started calling some of them back and telling them they are talking to my fax.

In addition, I had a demented woman calling often looking for her son, then his family from overseas started calling us too. I finally blocked the poor woman's number!
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Dang, I have it easy compared to you guys. We'll see tomorrow if my most recent conversation made a difference.

Sue, didn't the woman or the family understand English? What, did they think you were hiding the guy in your basement or something? People are weird.

Comment

Ah, the dreaded unwanted phone calls for the previous owner of that number game....
          Ours goes something like this....
          4:30a, everyone is sleeping. Phone rings, gruff man on other end says 'You got gas?'
          as funny as I may be during the "regular hours" of the day, at 4am, I am not funny, mostly angry that I was awakened by Bubba Billy Ed asking if I had gas.
          Turns out we have the old number for a gas station, lets just say when anything happens that may change the outlook for gas, we get lots of calls. Even though we have now had this number for 14 months....obviously people aren't looking at the new phone books that are stacked by their front doors.

So, if you know the name of the company that is calling, check here http://www.paulenglish.com/ivr/
          This guy has a list of how to get a person on the phone for a bunch of companies. Hope that it is helpful. I feel your pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagny
            Dang, I have it easy compared to you guys. We'll see tomorrow if my most recent conversation made a difference.

Sue, didn't the woman or the family understand English? What, did they think you were hiding the guy in your basement or something? People are weird.
            They did speak English, but the ironic thing is that they are from the Philippines (my dh is Filipino). I almost felt a little more inclined to make the international call to let them know they had the wrong # when I found out where they were from...almost. Apparently I'm not that nice!
            Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Originally posted by j3qpatel
              all I can offer is commiseration. it seems our # has been listed in a new add in "pennywise" so we've started to get calls: 8 yesterday and 12 today. Also, there is someone looking for Lucius who keeps calling and leaving messages even though our message on our answering maching sounds nothing like a Lucius.
              More info - today I find out that it's actually a 1800# that is supposed to route to this guy's cell phone (same # but area code 916, ours is 913). It's a 'sell medical insurance and make lots of money' thing. The guy actually called the 800# today to see where the call was routing .... and then offered to send me info on his business ! He said he had already called SBC several times and it was supposed to be fixed already. Five hours later, he calls back (via the 800# again) and says "Is this the lady in Kansas?" Yeah, yeah. As I'm concluding the conversation he says "Is there any way you could take messages for me?"

Ummm .... no.

Comment

Five hours later, he calls back (via the 800# again) and says "Is this the lady in Kansas?" Yeah, yeah. As I'm concluding the conversation he says "Is there any way you could take messages for me?"
                Sounds like a cry for a partnership....could be lucractive, I am thinking 90/10 and you can take your 90 off the top....but then again, I am just a business college student....

Comment

As I'm concluding the conversation he says "Is there any way you could take messages for me?"
                  Certainly! My fee is $50 per message, with a $1,000 non-refundable deposit for my services.

Comment

That's hysterical!!! I can't believe you don't want to be his secretary for free!
                    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Working...
                    X