Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

hypothetically speaking.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hypothetically speaking.....

]
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

I'm not sure if documents can be sent via email in a scramble, but until you hear back from someone who DOES know, I have heard of programs out there like Winfax and efax (I believe this is what they're called)--you can send a fax via computer.

It's good to think ahead, but I hope you won't need to scramble!
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I don't know if the info can be emailed but I do know that you can set up a fax service through yahoo. I have it but never used it. I think it's free too. You might want to look into it.

Comment

I think no. I think you should have a fax option handy. Things may have changed since the document I read about the scramble was published, but they were pretty clear that you needed fax access. I suppose you could use a Kinko's or mailbox plus nearby. I'd check out the fax program options though (and make sure they work), get a machine or find a neighbor that will let you borrow one for the day.

Hopefully it will be totally unnecessary!
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

This is not verified info, but....

I heard that it used to be that you faxed info, etc. I hear now that programs will request that you ERAS the application. This way they get all the verified info vs. faxed info, then having to verify it.

If you have to fax, you should be able to do it from your DH's deans office, as they should help you with the scramble and usually have staff dedicated to this every year.
          Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
          Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

I was always under the impression that you need to fax. And fast. I remember hearing that if you didn't match, it was pretty much a race to get your stuff in as fast as possible, because the unfilled programs just want a warm body.

I would be prepared to fax, and fast if you find out he doesn't match.

His school should have a fax machine that they should let you use for free.

Once you have been notified that you have not matched. You. Call all unfilled programs and find out what their requirements are: Get the requirements filles as fast as you can. If you school does not have a fax, go to Kinko's and do it. Make sure you have your cells so you can verify that they have your fax. Call them and let them know you are faxing your stuff, you are interested, and that they have your fax.

I have heard of A LOT of programs who take the first "fax" they get.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I was just reading some old posts and thought I would chime in here. My dh did not match last year and we did have to scramble. As I recall we were emailed a list of every program with openings, the day before matchday at noon. Each place had different preferences for how they wanted candidates to communicate. Some wanted phone calls only, some faxes only, some through ERAS only, and some accepted a combination of those choices. We too, didn't have a fax machine and our computer fax was not set up correctly. I think first we called each program to verify which method they preferred. We divied up the duties that day to basically apply to every possible program, ASAP, according to their preferences. I took his application materials to 2 different local places----a copy place and Staples and gave someone a big tip to stand and keep trying to get through on the busy fax line. I gave them each a different list with about 4 places each to fax to. I think one or two of the faxes couldn't even get through at all until the next day, because they were busy all day and the worker only tried to fax intermittently, though I pleaded with them to resend it as often as possible. When we called programs later in the day to verify receipt of the materials, many of those spots were already filled.

It was on the next day that we received a call about one of the faxed applications and dh got the job!!!!!! And the rest is history.......

The key to success on scramble day is to have a good plan and use a teamwork approach..........and try to remain as calm as you can. That one crazy day could change your life forever, so it is definitely worth some forethought and organization.

Comment

Working...
                X