Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Co-ed baby shower ideas, creativity and opinions needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co-ed baby shower ideas, creativity and opinions needed.

I am hosting a baby shower for the other second year resident's wife this Saturday. Because she doesn't know a lot of people here, I have invited men to the party as well, and it will be a co-ed baby shower. Most, if not all of the people who are coming are couples. It is possible that one or two people may come without their significant other (most likely men without women due to the invitation list).

I was thinking of slightly incorportating a Valentine's theme to go with the party. This will be a very, very slight theme. For the most part we are going to hang out, open gifts, and I do have three games that should be okay for the men. Prizes will be restaurant gift certificates. My games are:

1. Guess the girth of the pregnant woman by cutting a piece of yarn to length. Closest wins.
    2. Guess the prices of baby items. Closest wins. I could make this a couples competition and let them work together.
    3. Guess the candy bar that made the poopy diaper. Melt candy bars and pour contents into diapers. Most correct guesses wins.

For food I was thinking of doing nachos (chicken and/or beef) and some chocolate dipped strawberries. I do have two fondue sets. I could do a fondue type party and skip the nachos. I was also thinking of making some chocolate mousse garnished with chocolate hearts. I will not have Valentine's decor or anything like that. Should I do the mousse? Should I do the fondue? Should I move away from the Valentine's theme or embrace it, even though there may be a few solos?

Other ideas for food? Ideas for decorations? Different ideas for games or prizes?

HELP!
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I have some ideas for games that I have seen recently at baby showers. You could have a diaper changing contest between men and/or couples. Another game I have seen a lot is taking the babyfood jar labels off and letting people look at them and guess what they are. Or you could have a tray of 10 to 15 small baby items and have people take a look at it and then try to recall as many items as possible. The mom-to-be can then take the items home.

I don't have any other ideas. It sounds like fun!

Jennifer
      Needs

Comment

I played a creative and, perhaps, gross game at a co-ed baby shower recently. Both Dh and I thought it was great and it had us laughing! After we left, Dh even commented that baby showeres were fun!

The game required about 7-10 newborn diapers and 7-10 different types of chocolate-based candy bars; e.g., plain Hershey bar, Krackel, Mr. Goodbar, Wachamacallit, etc. (I don't remember the exact number of diapers). Each diaper was identified with a number written on it and contained a piece of one of the candybars. Each diaper was then put in the mircowave enough to melt the candy. The diapers were passed around to every one, who had to guess the type of candy bar in the diaper and write his or her answer down on a list next to the number of the diaper. The person who guessed the most candy bars correctly won.
        Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Originally posted by JaneDoe
          I played a creative and, perhaps, gross game at a co-ed baby shower recently. Both Dh and I thought it was great and it had us laughing! After we left, Dh even commented that baby showeres were fun!

The game required about 7-10 newborn diapers and 7-10 different types of chocolate-based candy bars; e.g., plain Hershey bar, Krackel, Mr. Goodbar, Wachamacallit, etc. (I don't remember the exact number of diapers). Each diaper was identified with a number written on it and contained a piece of one of the candybars. Each diaper was then put in the mircowave enough to melt the candy. The diapers were passed around to every one, who had to guess the type of candy bar in the diaper and write his or her answer down on a list next to the number of the diaper. The person who guessed the most candy bars correctly won.
          Yup, that was one of the games I was going to do! Thanks for the suggestiong.

Comment

Oh . . . disregard my last message. I just re-read Heidi's post, and I see she has it covered! Nevermind!

P.S. It is a great baby-shower game!
            Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Originally posted by jlynnb
              I have some ideas for games that I have seen recently at baby showers. You could have a diaper changing contest between men and/or couples. Another game I have seen a lot is taking the babyfood jar labels off and letting people look at them and guess what they are. Or you could have a tray of 10 to 15 small baby items and have people take a look at it and then try to recall as many items as possible. The mom-to-be can then take the items home.

I don't have any other ideas. It sounds like fun!

Jennifer
              I have actually done the baby food game one with little spoons to allow the contestants to taste the food if they so desire.

Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

What time should I be there? I like the idea of you being an event planner!!
                Luanne
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Heidi -
                  I say embrace the Valentine's Theme (before I got married, my roomies and I called it "single awareness day!" - those refreshments sound so fun!! So, miss event planner - what would you suggest for a 1st birthday for a boy that falls one week after Valentines day? - Just chiming in to let you know you would be a WONDERFUL events planner!!

Jen B.

Comment

Working...
                  X