Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Couples Counseling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flynn
    He was a trooper and got a quad americano.
    Quad. Love, true love.

Comment

Gotta love Starbucks -- and the fact that where I live there is one every other corner!!!

Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

couples counseling

wow! this really sounds like something i could get in to! i am definitely going to check into this. i wish i knew of someone to ask. none of you might happen to be in the indianapolis or st. louis area would you who could recommend people to contact? i know i am just full of questions.... but, how did you know any of you when despite this lifestyle you wanted to marry your SO?

Comment

SO is Q5 right now and his rotations get better as the weather gets warmer, so we agreed that this was the time to start. He NEVER would have made it to a single appointment over the winter months.
          As for how I went about finding our therapist... a coworker recommended somebody she and her husband used. Had she not done that, I would have just gone through SO's insurance company, or asked my therapist for a recommendation.
          I know SO and I will make it because the things that get in our way are circumstantial and temporary and we're both committed to working through them. We're really good together and love one another in a way that inspires songs and sonnets.

Comment

Most programs have a counseling program as part of their benefits. I've heard that 75% of the residents here use it at some point or another. We got 5 FREE sessions and DH did it post call. He had to tell his chief one time who was completely understanding because he had to do the same with his wife a few years earlier. You'd be surprised at the percentage of people who struggle.

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Kelly Wrote:
              You'd be surprised at the percentage of people who struggle.
              This is my experience as well.
              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

but, how did you know any of you when despite this lifestyle you wanted to marry your SO?
                I knew that I wanted to marry DH two weeks into dating him. I also know that any marriage requires work and that I rather work at being married to my soul mate than be single.

As for struggling and marriage counseling, we obviously struggled and still do at times but never actually went through counseling. Talked to some friends who were going through similar issues, which helped. At some point I got a number for a counselor but that alone freaked out DH enough to have a serious conversation and compromise and change. I've also realized that our worse times are when we feel misreable at work (for whatever reason) because we tend to take it out on each other. As long as we're both content, our relationship is great. It takes time and sometimes years to work out all the kinks and find a rythm that works for both.

Comment

We have tried couples counseling two different times. The first time we went through EAP which was free. The last time we got a lemon for a counselor so I do my research more thoroughly now. Making appts that DH can attend is difficult. I decided to go on my own and it seems to be working out better.

Jennifer
                  Needs

Comment

We go every other week together, and the weeks in between, we each see our individual counselors. That will change once he's on a floor rotation, but during electives it's an easy schedule to keep up with.

Comment

Working...
                    X