Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you?

A member of the adult sorority, Junior League? I have several friends joining or in it here, but I just cant see myself in it, although it does seem not quite so hoity toity these days. I am sucker for any club that has a huge garage sale too
    Mom to three wild women.

Heck no! I just can't get past the "old" hoity toity days. I'll just go to their garage sale and buy their stuff!

Comment

No, my one and only impression of the Junior Leaguers in this part wasn't good, but I'm sure the organization isn't all like this. When I used to volunteer at a battered women's shelter, the JL'ers came to "help" one time. This particular bunch looked like they stepped out of a Ralph Lauren ad and basically didn't fraternize with any of the women there. Then again, I guess the fact that they did decide to come shows their hearts were in the right place. I shouldn't judge based on my very limited experience....
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I would if we had one because I think its a great way to meet people, but sadly we don't have one or anything like it.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Nope, because you have to be sponsored and there I don't know anyone here who is a JLer. My SIL was in NYC but hasn't kept it up here. I'd consider it in SA, as long as it wasn't people with giant sticks up their butts. I am not a big joiner but it is nice to have a group to hang out with. I'm going to miss some of the moms I've met here through my DC Metro Mommies group. (if anyone is moving to DC and a mom, let me know)

Jenn

Comment

I started the process in our last location, mostly as a desperate attempt to make friends. I was sponsored by a mommy friend that I met at preschool. I went to the opening meetings and then......

I realized that it just wasn't me. Not the helping others part, but the rest of it. I can (and do) help others on my own and through my church, and the friendship thing just wasn't happening. Old oil money meets military medical very little (comparatively) money......not a lot of common ground. There were women involved that I really admired, but I was a giant stressball just thinking about the childcare I was going to have to arrange, or *maybe* arrange, depending on call, and I just decided that life was too short and I bowed out.

If I had known I was staying in that city, it might have been a different story, but there was no way in hell I was staying there, so maybe that made me less willing to "invest".
            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

40? Really? I had no idea.

Nope, haven't joined and haven't looked in to it. It has crossed my mind because a family friend mentioned her daughter did it after moving to meet people (she liked it). So far, the neighborhood park and preschool have worked pretty well.

Comment

Junior league has THE best resale shops.

40? Boy, if I want to join it I had better hurry!

Lots of old money in the Richmond chapter.

Comment

Working...
                X