Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

dork-o-meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jesher
    I'm always trying to find "cool" ways to suggest that we pull out a board game when we have friends over.
    This is so me! I bet I have more board games than you!

Maybe I should upgrade my number to a 10. I also married the biggest nerd I could find.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn
      Omigosh Annie -- you MISSED PROM for a science project????
      Now I've heard everything.

Dude, I never went to ONE school dance, not senior prom, nada.

My two most memorable social events from high school were the field trip to Washington, DC and NYC (learning about government and culture) in 11th grade, and the National Science Olympiad (I was captain of the Alaskan State team!) in 12th grade.

Now, where are my geek points?
      Alison

Comment

I guess that would depend on the pool of respondents. Among DH's medical friends I would definitely put myself somewhere in the 1-2 region. But among "normal" people I'd be along the 4-5 lines. I'm also with Alison in terms of separating dorky and geeky and nerdy. I'm more nerdy than geeky or dorky, as in I'll always pick ballet over sports game and Atlantic Monthly over Cosmo.

Comment

I missed prom, but it was for Melonball Shooter night at Whispers in DC. (and yes, I'd been invited but decided I'd rather go out with the girls...)

and I went to my first gay bar at 17. (as I explained to my mother, a drag bar in DC was about the safest place I could have been. NO ONE was interested in me as a girl...)

I saw a bunch of big name bands before they were big name bands and I squeaked through both high school and college with a solid 2.2 gpa... (although my Masters I got a 3.9- it was interesting whereas the others were not!)

I wasn't one of the popular girls because I knew that high school was not going to be my crowning achievement. I was friends with everyone. I became the editor of the school newspaper but it also allowed me to take four straight lunch periods AND miss school for a whole day twice a month to publish the paper. In college I lived with the single most unpopular girl because she was my friend. I hated that she was picked on and when the sororities that wanted me refused to interview her, I was no longer interested.

I don't know if I'm cool or not- I listen to NPR whenever I can, I watch c-span (but that's sport in DC) I wear make-up and do my hair when I go out except to exercise! I had spiked hair in the 80s and a funky bob in the 90s and am back to the spiked hair again. I find it adds focus to the wrinkles...

Honestly- I have no idea if I'm cool or not cool. I'm sure Nikolai will think that Rick and I are the biggest dorks in the universe. (Rick had a parallel life in LA, FYI although he played sports until he decided he hated the jock mentality and stopped after his junior year of high school)

Jenn

PS- number wise? I'll give myself a 3.

Comment

I'm a huge dork, in fact my dh and I have always used it as a term of endearment. I think I'd have to rate myself a 7 or an 8. I wasn't very cool in high school, and haven't become much cooler over the years. I was pretty much a 4.0 through high school and college, though I don't feel particularly smart these days. I'm totally into board games, crossword puzzles, jigsaw puzzles, etc. My dh was laughing his ass off at me the other day because I was attempting to do some kind of gangster salute, which ended up looking pretty stupid. Oh well, the older I get the less I care...I guess I'm learning to embrace my inner dork.
            Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

A 12 married to a 14!!!!
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I am cracking up here!!!

From everything I've read, I don't think I'm much of a dork HOWEVER -- I did LOVE Star Wars as a kid and know all the characters.

Before kids I used to read a ton so I had that going for me in the "dork meter." I also love most board games.

So I guess I'd give myself a 4 on the dork meter. I have "dork" tendancies but I live with DH -- who is at least a 7.
                Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I must have missed this yesterday!

In high school I would put myself as a 4, comparing to my husband's friends that we hand around with now I would say a 2.

I was never a big science or computer person. 8)
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I taped all of Star Trek the orignal series off the tv and would watch them while working out on my Nordictrack

Comment

Originally posted by Tree
                      I taped all of Star Trek the orignal series off the tv and would watch them while working out on my Nordictrack
                      Make it so, Maude!

Sorry -- I know that is from TNG ... but I didn't watch the original.

Comment

I probably qualify for dorkdom:

- My favorite books are all non-fiction and, usually, history (the more esoteric the better such as The Leper King and His Heirs - betcha never heard of that one!).

- I adore Star Trek - and just about any other science fiction. If I'm going to read fiction it's gotta be science fiction. I was reading Asimov in high school - which would've immediately labeled me a "dork" back then.

- I don't drink, don't smoke, and have never done drugs - ever.

- I won't wear a two-piece swimsuit.

- I go to church religiously (groan ) - every Sunday AND I sing in the church choir along with a number of other responsibilities. My favorite job has been being the Youth Sunday School teacher.

- I went to ONE prom in high school and regretted it. Soooo stupid! Actually just about all of the 'staged' high school social events were pointless and stupid.

- I don't curse (but, you guys wouldn't know that ) and I like to malign sailors by referring to them as perpetually swearing.

- Oh yeah - I've worn glasses since I was 8 years old. That's gotta count for something in the dorky category....

- Annnnnd, the one thing that perhaps qualifies me as dorky above all else: I am on the internet at almost 9pm on a Friday night.

Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                        With fingernails that shine like justice
                        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I definitely wax and wane on the dorkdom scale....presently, after shopping at Old Navy rather regularly, I'd say I'm pretty hip (3-4)--but then, I fly off the scale when I retreat to listening to jazz and reading journal articles about transplant research..I also love Star Trek, esp. Patrick Stewart...(Incidentally, I once went with my mom to MN to see him live in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf?" He was amazing...this was actually a....Patrick Stewart fan club event (note: mom belonged!) so we had a chance to chat with him before seeing the show. Wow. He's pretty short and small, btw.

Comment

I've heard that if you think ON is hip you're squarely in the too old to be hip category. That is according to all the 13 year old neices. THEY shop at Hot Topic

Comment

Originally posted by Tree
                              I've heard that if you think ON is hip you're squarely in the too old to be hip category. That is according to all the 13 year old neices. THEY shop at Hot Topic

Great.....

...I don't think Hot Topic has clothes big enough (read: enough coverage) for me to wear!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X