Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

advice on car sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on car sale

I have my VW passat wagon in the newspaper, on cars.com and on craigslist. So far I have gotten one hit and that was from someone who wanted to pay me double the value and have it shipped to Africa. I have it priced just below blue book value and it is in great shape. Any other advice to get it sold? I really thought they were sought after cars and we wouldnt have any trouble selling it, but it has been a week with no calls. They nearest carmax is 70 miles away so we could do that, but when I called they said they could offer us significantly below BB or right at BB, it just depends on their needs at the moment.
    Mom to three wild women.

Beware the overseas things- they're a total scam. Our paper ran a story about it a few months ago. It's kind of like those Nigerian royalty scams. I hate selling to CarMax but they are fair. It just takes forever and a day while you sit and sit and sit. I think they do it so that you have more time to wander the lots.

We sold two cars to Carmax and one we traded in. None were fabulous heartwarming experiences. My dad has always had great luck selling his cars through the newspapers but he always has had Saabs and they really hang onto their value.

Jenn

Comment

Ugh, it took me about 2 months to sell my VW Bug with low mileage in great condition for WELL under blue book value. I had it posted on cars.com and craigs list. Had a few interested parties, but ended up selling it to a nice girl who traveled 2 hours to test drive it and offered me cash on-the-spot. Be patient, if you can afford it. That's my advice. Avoid selling to a dealer, and listen to Jenn - I had several "overseas" offers to buy my car and have it shipped, TOTAL SCAM. There are warnings about it on craigslist. Oh, and post as many pictures as the sites will allow. People are visual and you'll only get teased with e-mails requesting pics if you don't post them.

Good luck!!!

Comment

You might do better finding a local mechanic and let him sell and get a commission. That is what I ahve done. I would rather make a little less with NO headaches.
        Luanne
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Re: advice on car sale

Originally posted by suwannee
          I have my VW passat wagon in the newspaper, on cars.com and on craigslist. So far I have gotten one hit and that was from someone who wanted to pay me double the value and have it shipped to Africa. I have it priced just below blue book value and it is in great shape. Any other advice to get it sold? I really thought they were sought after cars and we wouldnt have any trouble selling it, but it has been a week with no calls. They nearest carmax is 70 miles away so we could do that, but when I called they said they could offer us significantly below BB or right at BB, it just depends on their needs at the moment.
          If you come to the nearest carmax, you might as well go a few miles further to my house and have lunch, let the kids play, and we can chat.

I hope you can get your car sold!
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Working...
          X