Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

video games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• video games

DH and eldest daughter want a video game system. I never had one growing up, and know that they are highly addictive. Do you have thoughts on this? Recommendations? Warnings??? I'm a total novice. I did read in business pages that the Microsoft system didn't do so well... Didn't meet expectations or something.
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

I have a Gamecube, so I have some bias and more knowledge concerning it. However, I have played XBOX and PS2 many times. Here's my opinions on the systems.

Gamecube
    -best family system, with many games for the non-gamer
    -many high quality games, especially legacy titles, such as Mario, Zelda, or Metroid
    -unique games that play well at parties, such as Donkey Konga, DDR, and Mario party.
    -nostalgia factor for me
    -games are usually more cartoonish compared to the other systems, with less violence
    -no online play

PS2
    -largest game library, with mix of adventure and sports titles
    -I find the controller awkward, but others love it
    -probably the best system for a teen, as it offers some younger titles as well as more adult-themed games
    -online play, I think

XBOX
    -geared more towards adult males over 18 and under 30.
    -majority of quality game titles revolve around sports and killing people/blowing stuff up
    -massive controller will be difficult for those with small hands.
    -online play

I have not played with the XBOX360, but would probably wait until PS3 and Nintendo Revolution come out before committing to a next-gen system.

Comment

We have a GameCube and I think it is a great system because of the family-friendliness. They are going to get cheaper pretty soon, since Nintendo is going to come out with a newer system, so you can either take advantage of that and save some bucks, or hold out for the new system so you will have the latest and greatest features.

To be real honest, it is mostly my kids that play.....even my four year old . But we have Donkey Konga (you play conga drums instead of using the standard controllers and get to play along to fun songs like "Wild Thing" and "Louie Louie" to name a couple) and have played it with everyone in DH's family, including the grandparents, and everyone has had a blast. We like the Mario games, too, and the ones based on Disney movies, although my oldest is starting to get more into the sports games.

Depending on the kid/grownup the games can be really addictive, like you said, but we have always had a 45 minute/day rule, and we set a timer so I am not the one nagging them to turn it off. My oldest, in particular, would play all day if I let him, but we have had the rule from the beginning, and he has never really argued with it.

Good luck deciding!

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

GREAT! That is very helpful. I am definitely not a "gamer" but it could be an avenue for some much-needed father-daughter bonding!
        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I would definitely go the Gamecube route for children. I bought my younger sister one and she loves it. They tend to create games based on films (Finding Nemo etc.) much faster than other consoles. I personally love our XBOX. We use to have a playstation but there are a lot of games that both DH and I can play together and use at parties. We bring out DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) and Karaoke Revolution for our friends and they always have a blast. Gamecube has a DDR version but it is far too kid friendly...adults wouldn't enjoy it as much. Good luck game shopping.
          Danielle
          Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Working...
          X