Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat

What do you keep your thermostat on in the winter and summer?

We set it at bt 65-68 in the winter and 78 in the summer.

I bring this up bc it is 90 degrees outside in mid April, with the same temps forecast for the whole week. I usually try to keep the windows open in the Spring and push turning on the AC for a while.
    Mom to three wild women.

I have it programmed for 63 at night and then it kicks up to 68 in the daytime. On more humid days, I bump it to 69.

No A/C. We would only use it for a month or so and only *really* need it for 2 weeks. But ask me during those two weeks and I would just about give an arm for A/C.

Comment

haven't had summer yet here.
      winter we kept it at 63 daytime, 65 evenings, 60 at night and up to 68 for get up time for a couple hours.
      heating bills weren't too bad imo.

Comment

65 in the winter, 74 in the summer.

you can bet your buppie that my AC is on right now. it's 88 degrees out there!

Comment

I'm impressed- you all must have low heating and cooling bills! We don't have that kind of restraint. I can't sleep with it too hot, so I set it at night to about 74/73 depending, during the day I don't care too much so I set it higher. In the winter, DH likes to be cozy at night, so he would set it to 71, but I talked him down to 68 (sometimes I sneak it to 67) but during the day I set it to 67 or so. Heating bills were relatively nasty, esp having moved out here to the East from the gloriously low power bills of the pacific NW.
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Rarely if ever for the A/C- I haven't turned it on yet this year but we haven't had any hot days yet. Really, it has to be about 90 before I will consider turning it on because I am extremely uncomfortable with air conditioned air. I get cold and can't get warm again.

Conversely, I also get really hot at night so I keep the heat on 65 at night in the winter.

Thyroid problems? None that anyone has been able to diagnose!

Jenn

Comment

DH and I are wimps. We keep it at about 70 in the winter and 74 or so in the summer (sometimes we lower it a little bit more at night). Our heating bills were shocking, but our water bills are a tenth of what they were in TX, so we haven't felt it as much.....and while we paid a lot more for heating this past winter, we paid a lot less for cooling in the summer.

Still, I know we could do better.......I just can't bring myself to try!

Sally
              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

For most of the winter we managed about 63 while we were home, 60 or lower while we were out or sleeping. But the last month or so dragged on so much that we were bumping it up to 65, even 67 at times!

We don't have AC except a window unit in the bedroom that we turn on for a few hours as we're falling asleep and turn off in the middle of the night.

No idea what we'll find liveable in Phoenix. Currently thinking mid-80s when we're out, mid-70s when we're home?
                Alison

Comment

We used to do 65 in the winter, but our little guy freezes whenever it gets below 72 even with fleece jammies and sleep sack so now we keep it at 72 . During the summer, we keep it between 78-80 and run all of our ceiling fans. I hate the look of ceiling fans, but they make the room feel about 5 degrees cooler than it actually is.

Comment

This was my first Winter in a new house, without roommates to help lessen the blow of heating bills. I have flannel jammies and sheets and a down comforter. Turned the heat down to 57/58º while sleeping, 62º while getting ready for work, back to 57º when out of the house, but jacked it up to 68º if I was just lounging around. Bills weren't too bad at all. Not sure what I'm going to do this summer. Like Alison, I have 1 window unit for the bedroom that in other apartments I've keep around 68º.

Comment

Since we have moved to Florida, we have only run the heat twice. In Kansas City we wouldn't turn on the heat until you could see your breath, indoors.
                      For summer, we keep it at 80. We have ceiling fans and turn them on when we are in those rooms. We put our pool to get use though and we have been swimming for almost a month already this year.
                      If it gets to unbearable we all strip down to our undies and stand in front of the refrigerator...Ok, just the boys do that...not the grown boy....as far as you know....

Comment

Working...
                      X