Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How presentable are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sort of make an effort. For me, that means I don't show up in sweats--that's as good as it gets. I try to at least wear jeans and a cute top. I practically never wear makeup, and my hairstyle is wash and go (if you want to call it a hairstyle), so I certainly don't fix my hair or apply makeup to go to the hospital.
    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Presentable? Is THAT in my job description?
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I run the gamut. I joke that there are two women who live in my house: the makeup-less one in ratty old race shirts who scrubs the toilet and the one who takes care with her appearance. On one hand, I'm not a girly-girl that can't sweat or go out without being completely made up. On the other hand, six days a week I wear make up and try to wear flattering, current clothes. Still, I just can't bring myself to spend more than 30 minutes getting ready. While you have to invest in yourself to feel good about yourself, you also have to live life.

I guess that I'm just like my mom in this regard. I try to have a healthy view of when to pull myself together and when to just live life without regard to my appearance. Never forgo the chance to go swimming or waterskiing just because of a hairdo! On the other hand, don't be afraid to invest time and money in making yourself feel good. I hope that my daughter falls somewhere in between the two ends of the spectrum too.

Kelly
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Morning priorities include dressing and feeding the kiddos, checking Kate's lunch to make sure she didn't just pack candy (she decided to pack her own lunch lately), then coffee. Beyond that, it is a bonus. If I have to go somewhere out of the house, I change out of sweats/shorts and into jeans or chinos, but I wear birkenstocks every day, and I don't even own real heels b/c dh is only about 1 inch taller than I... I usually wear foundation b/c I like the feel of lotion, and after lotion my skin is all splotchy, and anyway I'm used to it. My big routine takes maybe 15 minutes, when I make an effort....
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I am not presentable. I rarely wear makeup. I stay home in my hovel most of the time. I am a hag.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I have only been to the hospital once since my husband has been an intern, and never went when he was in med school. I guess I always look "presentable".

My new thing is pant suits. I used to abhor wearing suits, and only owned 2, for any "just - in- case" moments like funerals, etc. This last job, I got, however, requires that I wear a suit whenever I have any client contact. I am hooked!! They are so easy. They are on the expensive side, but all you need is 5- one for each day of the week. The best part is there is NO thinking involved. You don't even have to iron the back of the shirt, because the jacket hides it- how cool is that? All you need are two pairs of shoes- loafers- one pair black the other brown. An assortment of black or opaque trouser socks- and that is your whole wardrobe!! If you don't work in an office, the same concept can be applied to out-and-about clothing. There are casual suits like seersucker, or even suits that come with capri pants. These can be worn to the grocery store, etc. I finally learned how to dress like a guy- they don't have to think about dressing!!! Why did it take me so long???

Comment

In the past few years, I have developed a whole outside of work wardrobe that consists of fitted, colorful yoga clothes. I DO in fact go to pilates once a week but to look at me you would think I lived in the yoga studio! Anyway, if you don't mind very fitted clothing I can't rec. this enough: cottons and breathable fabrics, fitted and attractively cut, and wonderful bright colors. Plus, all can be mailordered from prana or athleta.com. Have worn to the hospital and a few things I have managed to wear to my work as well. (Heidi, I hardly ever wear makeup as well, just lipstick sometimes). In my experience as far as people's impressions of you - - and in full disclosure I am a complete pilates disciple, my husband thinks I have been brainwashed - - I think the way you carry yourself, posture etc matters way more than what you are wearing.

Comment

I finally learned how to dress like a guy- they don't have to think about dressing!!! Why did it take me so long???
                  Heh. I've said this myself. I can wear pretty much what I want at work (no client contact), so I accomplish *exactly* the same thing, for less money, with the following:

Jeans: 3 pr light blue, one dark blue, one black
                  shirts: short sleeved, long sleeved, all sorts of solid colors
                  Socks: about 15 pr plain black cotton and about 15 pr white ankle sport socks
                  shoes: one pair nice black slip-ons, one pair white "walking" sneakers

No thought at *all*, and I love it. I'm hardly a fashion plate, but I'm comfortable and clean and reasonably presentable, and it takes me 5 minutes to dress, and no hassle with dry cleaning or ironing or anything.

-Sandy
                  Sandy
                  Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Working...
                  X