Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Online shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online shopping

I was recently talking to one of my neighbors and she told me that she has NEVER made an online purchase. I have to say I was shocked when I heard this...I mean, I truly wondered if my neighbor had been living in a hole for the past decade.

We make about 90% of our purchases online. I rarely buy clothes at the mall anymore. Almost all of our furniture was purchased online. BTW, I know that a lot of people here will be moving soon...if you're looking for furniture, check out http://www.clubfurniture.com. I just ordered a club chair and a slipcover sofa that are exactly like ones that Pottery Barn sells, but were 40% less plus I got free shipping & free down upgrades. And their customer service is excellent!

So, I'm curious...how much shopping do you all do online? :chat:

I would say about 98% is done online, including groceries! I haven't set foot in a mall in easily 5 years except for meeting people or eating at a mall restaurant while traveling.

I'd much rather support small stores in town or buy online.

Jenn

Comment

I hate trying on clothes at stores, so I order things online from the Gap or Nordstrom, try them on at home, and then return what doesn't fit me. Shopping for clothes used to wipe me out. It takes so much energy! Books, clothes and flights are pretty much the only things I buy online.
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

A lot of shopping on line. But not groceries yet... That would take away one of my main outings!
        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Like Tara said, I don't know what people did before the internet. Books, clothes, any travel, stamps, beekeeping equipment, plants, just about anything. I think the best way to get clothing on sale is to be email lists for stores I like. There are some things I prefer to see in person -- but mostly the UPS delivery guy!

I like the clubfurniture site too, Erica. Their stuff looks nice.

Comment

Probably 75% of our shopping is done online- clothing, shoes, etc. I love Zappos.com- 365 day return policy and free shipping both ways. Love love love them. There is no way I could go out and try on shoes with three kids in tow, plus I like being able to actually see if the shoes will work with my clothes, socks, etc. I have purchase three pairs from them. Oh and the prices are decent too!

Crystal
            Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

I would say we do 75% of our shopping online, can't do the groceries yet b/c we don't have a lot of good choices. But I'd die without my internet shopping!
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I buy a lot of gifts online and have them shipped directly to the recipient, but that is about it.

DH does Wal-Mart runs from a set list each week, and I go to a grocery store for some produce and other stuff that isn't on our regular list, but most weeks we get by on just the one WalMart trip. I have to try on stuff before I am willing to buy it......I *hate* mailing stuff back. DH mostly gets clothes (when I drag him) at the Eddie Bauer outlet, and I get a lot of the kids' stuff at resale shops, and again, I really want them to try it on first. I don't buy books unless they are from Half-Price books, and we haven't ever had the $$$ to buy furniture......I don't think I would have the guts to buy it online, honestly.

I did shop more online when we lived in BFE, Texas, but not too much anymore.

Sally
                Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I would say we do 10%-15% of our purchases online? I personally like to touch and feel what I buy, so I prefer to buy things the traditional way. We buy most of our books, movies, electronics online though. Unfortunately my weakness is shopping, so the online version of it isn't as satisfying!

Comment

Absolutely love online shopping! We do our major grocery shopping online and most of the gifts we buy for people. My mom still won't shop online but she does love the mall and I hate being around a lot of strange people so I avoid it when I can.
                    Danielle
                    Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

I do about 50% of my grocery shopping online. Other than that, I mostly only online shop to send gifts to people. I really enjoy shopping, so I'll probably always head to the mall or target when it comes to buying clothes, shoes, etc. My dh probably buys about 90% of his purchases online.
                      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I do a lot of shopping online, but don't like buying clothes/shoes without trying them on first. The only clothes I buy online is from stores I know well and can return easily (Banana, JCrew, etc.).

Comment

A better question might be...what DON'T I buy online? We buy computers, clothing, jewelry, flowers, chocolate, furniture, housewares, linens... I HATE going to the mall. I'd buy my groceries online too, if I could.

Erica, we bought a sectional from them last fall. We love it! I didn't get the down upgrade, how do you like it? This is truly the comfiest(sp) piece of furniture we have. One end has a chaise...guess who always gets dibs? You guessed it, my barely over 3' tall son.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagny
                            One end has a chaise...guess who always gets dibs? You guessed it, my barely over 3' tall son.
                            HA! I was picturing a pregnant woman making good use out of that chaise...not your little munchkin. I love the down cushions...mostly because I didn't have to pay for them.

Crystal, I LOVE Zappos, too. They have the absolute best return policy...they just couldn't make it any easier to return stuff. If I'm not sure what size I where, I'll usually order 2 or 3 different sizes from them and then just send back whichever one didn't fit. The poor UPS guy has to stop at our house just about every day.

Comment

Working...
                            X