Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Graduation Dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graduation Dinner

I know we've all bveen discussing the various dinners and receptions that we're all forced to attend. (or not as the lucky ones get)

However, this past Saturday was without a doubt the worst dinner event I've ever attended, EVER. It makes the Holiday Dinner internship year look like a Gala. (for those of you who weren't around back then, there were NO decorations, it was a cash bar, the meal consisted of bread, cheese cubes, a huge slab of Roast Beef and yes, finger sandwiches that looked like fingers [cut into long strips- I think it was a Spanish/English translation issue]).

So, this time, we pay $120 bucks. It supposed to be a neurology department party but only two from the Child Neurology department came. (us and the graduating resident and his wife). We get there and we're all sitting outside. Why are we sitting outside on a cool and windy evening? Because the restaurant was closed. Closed as in no longer in business. Hmmmm, I thought, this is wierd. Like, aren't there about 8,000 restaurants in the DC area that are, say, OPEN?

We get our drinks (the choice of which was non-functioning sodas (not open, remember? So they had no syrup for the machines...) sweet white wine, "New" red wine and Budweiser. (so NOT the King of Beers) and we
    and sit and sit and sit. Finally, after an hour+ we get undercooked calamari. and we sit and sit and sit some more. Then we get a salad. and we sit and sit and sit and they bring out lemon sorbet as a "palate refresher" which would have been great had it not been freezer burned.
    Then finally about 9pm they bring out either 1) over cooked fish, fake risotto and grilled veggies or 2) overcooked chicken, paella and grilled veggies. We all ate the veggies. Period. Dessert was some sort of "mousse". No one ate that either.

Needless to say, it was a total waste of our money.

Jenn

OMG - who organized that thing?
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

wow! You definitely win the prize for worst graduation dinner.
      We're having ours in two weeks, and I've asked the babysitter to come in the evening. I went last year with the kids, and left after half an hour, it not being a very kid friendly place. I hope it's better than yours! (Though I recall from last year that the beer selection was similar
      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
      Let's go Mets!

Comment

So what are these dinners about? Do you do them as students or as residents? Seems weird that they would make ou pay to go to your own graduation dinner.... It's all greek to me

Comment

That sucks, Jenn. I think you win the award for the worst graduation dinner story.

Comment

Originally posted by CatinaOU
            So what are these dinners about? Do you do them as students or as residents? Seems weird that they would make ou pay to go to your own graduation dinner.... It's all greek to me
            Here the graduation dinner is for departing residents. The department pays for it and it is held in one of the Mayo homes that is now used for functions such as this. Most residents and their spouses attend, and about half of the attendings attend with their spouses. Our is the 19th this year! Fun, huh?

Comment

I think it depends entirely on the program. We've shelled out bucks every year but the peds dept. pitched in X amount every year. I'm relatively sure that the neurology dept didn't pitch in boo this year.

My husband's colleague's wife is a graduating resident from Hopkins and their dinner (and that of two guests, at a chi-chi country club) is paid for.

At least last year we were inside. Oh, the other part? Since the restaurant was technically closed we had to used the bathrooms in another restaurant. nice.

Jenn

Comment

We've never had to pay a cent for any "command performance" we've been "invited" to.

I guess I should add this to the "reasons I don't hate DH's program." The list is NOT long so one more is a good thing!

I can't believe paying 120$ for a bad dinner you had to wait for.
                Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

What a horrible story Jenn!

Kelly
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

That's so bad it's almost comical! Almost, except I wouldn't have much of a sense of humor about it if I actually had to pay for that!
                    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

That's just turrible (phonetic spelling intended ). Maybe I'm extremely cynical, but I'm guessing somebody's brother, sister-in-law, neighbor, or fill-in-the blank got thrown a bone from whoever the organizer was. I can't really figure out another reason it would ever go down like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Momof4
                        Our dinners are all paid for, even the alcohol. But if you just want a soda or something like that you have to pay for it What kind of message does that send?
                        Our holiday party is like that with the alcohol - we about fell over when a pregnant wife had to pay for her club soda.

Comment

That definitely takes the Worst Graduation Dinner prize. Wow.

Ours is in 4 weeks. I'm going since the department is paying for spouses this year. I'll report back on whether I have to pay for my tonic, no vodka.

Comment

Ouch. That wins the prize, all right. I'd *hope* somebody was just using a family connection, otherwise you've got some seriously pissed off administrators there. That event sounds like payback. "You want me to plan your party? I'll plan your &*!$$ party! "

Ours were always pretty good - at those old boys club historical university spaces. Lots of grandeur and no cost. Kids were an inconvenience, though. Not a kid friendly atmosphere.

Now, as an attending wife, I've ponied up for quite a few of these events. We are not going to the general OB one this year - and the fellow's send off is at a nice restaurant. It isn't clear whether spouses (attending) are coming, because some are out of town and other spouses can't make it. I hope that doesn't make the fellow's think their spouses aren't welcome. I never thought of that. Maybe I should go , even if I'm the only spouse "available" just to set the tone.

It's funny how your perspective on these things changes. At least here, there is no "policy" about the spouses/kids....it's just dumb luck. It depends on who planned it and who's available to attend.
                            Angie
                            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I'm also curious as to why departments make you pay for these things ... like it's *your* privilege to attend? DH's department also pays for all of the events, the graduation dinner is coming up next weekend. We always go and enjoy ourselves, but we actually like most of the other people in the department which helps.

Jenn, that sucks that the dinner was so bad.
                              ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                              -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Working...
                              X