Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What to expect when entering med school...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone... All your comments have helped. I feel better already

Comment

For us, the first year of medical school was hard, but in a different way than college was hard. What made the first yer of med school hard was that we moved 2000 miles away from family and we had no money. No, financial aid does not go very far at all, I am afraid. You will have unexpected expenses. Now, I did not work, so we relied completely on financial aid (which is why we are in such a lovely financial situation now ), but financial aid was NOT enough. So, the first year of med school was a bit lonely for me. I had a toddler, we only had one car, and I was basically abandoned at home.

All that said medical school was a BREEZE compared to college, and not even worth mentioning compared to residency. That doesn't mean that there can't be hard times and hard parts. We resident spouses tend to forget that it could be hard at all because of how we are comparing it to now, but that doesn't mean there aren't hard parts.

College was harder because:
      DH had a full-time job.
      I was also in school full-time.
      We had a baby.
      I had a difficult pregnancy.
      I had a part-time job.
      We passed the baby off between classes and took him to classes and barely saw each other.

In med school, I saw my DH all the time, but like the other ladies said, it depends on the kind of studier he is. My dh didn't have to study as much as some of his fellow students and he doesn't require a lot of sleep, like Tara's dh, so a lot of the time, I saw him a lot. There were days that lectures were over at 12 or 2. We nearly always had weekends off. Third year was a little harder, and he had a few hard rotations in 4th year when he did aways and sub-internships, but 4th year was like vacation for the most part, especially at the end.

There were days that were hard, but not many. If there was something going on at home, he was sick or I was sick, he could nearly always arrange to be there, including scheduling his exam on a different day. I don't remember if he ever did that, but my point is that he could have.

I did help him study occasionally because I am interested in medicine, and it kind of helped me learn a little too and live it with him. It helped to bond us. In 2nd year he got the class high on a unit that I had really drilled him on. Yes, it was all me!

So, it was hard in the sense that I was stranded, and he had all these new friends, and I didn't have one. Things improved a lot when we got a second car 3rd year.
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

My husband managed to find the time to date all of the available women in the DC metro area during medical school (and those he didn't date, his room-mates did). Needless to say, they didn't find it too taxing.

and he's a crammer who has finally mended his evil ways.

Jenn

Comment

Med school was pretty hard for us. However, I think it had a lot more to do with culture shock and our financial situation than anything else. It took me many months to find work, which we were not prepared for and financial aid can not support two people. As well we don't have any parental support so it was pretty difficult. We don't have kids, but I don't know how we would have managed that. He was home quite a bit and I would quiz him sometimes before exams if he wanted. Often I would sit in the same room that he was studying in and watch tv with headphones or read and it was more like spending time together. DH isn't big into cramming so he spent many hours studying. Third and fourth year were a bit harder in the sense that he was not around much which left me dealing with my pets death and other issues alone. However, it has helped prepare me for residency somewhat, I think
          Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I agree with Cheri that the first semester can set the tone for the rest of MS1 and MS2. It was a hard transition for us because we had both been out of college and working regular type hours for a few years -- evenings and weekends usually free. Also, even though he was working in academics, he got out of that study mode.

After the first few weeks, we agreed that he would complete the first year and then we would re-evaluate. He didn't need that much time and after a few months, things got better and he did great in school.

The clinical years are another transition because the schedule isn't as set and the rotations can vary a lot more in time commitment and studying.

If you are used to him studying and being in school, it shouldn't be much of a transition. And like Russ said, med school isn't an excuse to be a diva. There is still time for family, household chores, etc.

For us, med school years easiest to hardest: MS4, MS2, MS3, MS1 (first half).

Comment

Originally posted by heidi
              For us, the first year of medical school was hard, but in a different way than college was hard. What made the first yer of med school hard was that we moved 2000 miles away from family and we had no money. No, financial aid does not go very far at all, I am afraid. You will have unexpected expenses. Now, I did not work, so we relied completely on financial aid (which is why we are in such a lovely financial situation now ), but financial aid was NOT enough. So, the first year of med school was a bit lonely for me. I had a toddler, we only had one car, and I was basically abandoned at home.

All that said medical school was a BREEZE compared to college, and not even worth mentioning compared to residency. That doesn't mean that there can't be hard times and hard parts. We resident spouses tend to forget that it could be hard at all because of how we are comparing it to now, but that doesn't mean there aren't hard parts.

College was harder because:
              DH had a full-time job.
              I was also in school full-time.
              We had a baby.
              I had a difficult pregnancy.
              I had a part-time job.
              We passed the baby off between classes and took him to classes and barely saw each other.

In med school, I saw my DH all the time, but like the other ladies said, it depends on the kind of studier he is. My dh didn't have to study as much as some of his fellow students and he doesn't require a lot of sleep, like Tara's dh, so a lot of the time, I saw him a lot. There were days that lectures were over at 12 or 2. We nearly always had weekends off. Third year was a little harder, and he had a few hard rotations in 4th year when he did aways and sub-internships, but 4th year was like vacation for the most part, especially at the end.

There were days that were hard, but not many. If there was something going on at home, he was sick or I was sick, he could nearly always arrange to be there, including scheduling his exam on a different day. I don't remember if he ever did that, but my point is that he could have.

I did help him study occasionally because I am interested in medicine, and it kind of helped me learn a little too and live it with him. It helped to bond us. In 2nd year he got the class high on a unit that I had really drilled him on. Yes, it was all me!

So, it was hard in the sense that I was stranded, and he had all these new friends, and I didn't have one. Things improved a lot when we got a second car 3rd year.
              This sounds so much like us. Thank you. It helps to know that while I may be over worried, that there are others with multiple kids, no family, going to school, and still delt well with the first year. On the help with studying thing that was exactly what I hope , is that it will bond us and give us things to talk about when we have a lack for other things.

Comment

I agree! For us at least, med school was a breeze compared to residency
                Oh yeah. Med school is like going to the shooting range while residency is like trying to storm the beaches of Normandy on D-Day with a rifle strapped to your back.

O.K., sarcasm and grandiose statements aside, medical school was easy for DH in light of his undergrad of mechanical engineering. He rarely studied. With this being said, I agree with Nellie, start out strong and set the tone. This works for residency too.

Kelly
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

hahah You guys are wonderful. So many differant people so many differant responses.

What kind of unexpected expenses can crop up the first year? The only thing I know of is the lap top. Other than medical problems or car crapping out. Ya know the basic things are there things the first year that the school expects them to pay for?

Comment

What kind of unexpected expenses can crop up the first year? The only thing I know of is the lap top. Other than medical problems or car crapping out. Ya know the basic things are there things the first year that the school expects them to pay for?
                    Books (holy $$$$), lab fees, microscope rental, otoscopes, stethoscopes, blood pressure cuffs, note service, health insurance and health related issues, PDA, ID's, parking, food....

That's off the top of my head.
                    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Seriously, my best advice is to not overthink it. You cannot manage the medical lifestyle in the traditional sense. There will be things that will pop up fromo now until the day he retires. Patients die, jobs suck, bosses suck more, someone will steal his otoscope/stethescope/clogs/ipod/palm pilot-

He will be a raging ass some days, and you will be on other days and hopefully they won't happen too often on the same day. As bad as medical school can be, I think 95% of us would say that internship and residency sucked WAY worse and fellowship is a whole different level of hell.

Really, you will figure out a way. You HAVE to relax or this medical journey will suck the life right out of you. and you HAVE to because your husband can't and/or won't and probably won't for a while.

M1 is tough, it's the year where they figure out if the student is going to make it. But it's not so tough that no one ever graduates three years later!

Jenn

Comment

Oh he has no idea that I am all up in my head about it. As far as he is concerned life is peachy as usual. We have been together for over ten years so I no how to deal with the ASS in him though that does not mean I wouldn't mind strangling him to death when he is in that mode. As for over thinking it, I have to feel like I am being proactive or I won't feel like I am progressing in an appropriate way. While I know I can not plan anything anymore I can fool myself into thinking I know a bit of what to expect.

Okay now ya'll think I am nutso. Everyone laff it up at the silly beginner. hahahha This all probably makes me sound so koo koo. What can I say I was a girl scout I like to be prepared.

Comment

From one Girl Scout to another...

I met my SO in Med School, MS2. Those were great years. We went through a lot... finalizing his divorce, deaths in the family, school loan not coming through, away rotations while neither of us had a car... but we made do. Maybe it was the Girl Scout in me that made me resourceful. We got each other through the hard times, he borrowed $$ from his parents to finish med school, and we rented or borrowed cars while he had away rotations. Even though we couldn't have anticipated the details, they all came together because we eventually approached things pragmatically and realized that the sky was not falling. If you've been together for 10 years AND have children, I'd guess that you've already been tested and are pretty well-practiced when it comes to problem solving. I know it helps to have a crystal ball, but sh*t happens, and really, it's the sh*t that makes the best stories! Enjoy the next 4 years, it's going to be fine. It's going to be just like life

Comment

Originally posted by dayisme
                            From one Girl Scout to another...
                            I know it helps to have a crystal ball, but sh*t happens, and really, it's the sh*t that makes the best stories! Enjoy the next 4 years, it's going to be fine. It's going to be just like life
                            HAhahaha Thats great and you are right. There is no way to anticipate everything. Its strange. Niether of us are taking classes this summer and there is no need to crazy MCAT study anymore so we have nothing to do but sit and wait and wonder. I think he is worse off than i though. He is soooooo itching to start. hehe poor boy....

Comment

Med school is 6 years long in Germany, but they seem to have much more time off than what you all describe goes on in the US. It was a fabulous time for us (except for the last year of rotations that my dh did in the US). Be supportive of your dh, but I agree with the others--yours can still chip in and help YOU out too!
                              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Buy and sell your books on half.com. It will save you tons of $$$$ on books. My DW and I did during med/law school and really saved money. I recommend it 100%.
                                Husband of an amazing female physician!

Comment

Working...
                                X