Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Website questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website questions

I'm not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this, so I was wondering if others have been noticing server problems recently. I'm fairly new so I don't know what the server arrangement is but I imagine this forum eats up a good chunk of bandwidth each month. I don't even want to think about the amount of space it takes on the server. In any case, my question is whether or not the site admins need any assistance in keeping the site running.

Lastly, and more of an aside since this really isn't my business, what do you think about some of the recent user registrations? I'm talking about those with questionable user names or URLs.
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

The questionable new users are deleted.

I've been having some difficulty getting on the site and accessing private messages lately. Kris can better answer your question about that. There is a fix I can try that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I'll do that now.

Comment

Hmmm. I'm not sure what the glitches are. I have been offline for the last 7-10 days for the most part.

As to bandwidth...and server space...yes..this thing is tipping the scales. I am reminded that I need to keep up with this stuff.

We are always interested in any input anyone can give us, so...feel free to 'help'.

edited to add: aha...I just checked into the cpanel and we are indeed having a problem. Sorry for the inconvenience guys. I'll try and get it straightened out.

Kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

As for the "new users" we've battled the bots for years. Not to mention, we've had several different servers due to a variety of issues. (there was the one time that someone in Europe used medicalspouse.com to send spam all over the flippin' universe. That was fun for Kris and ERDocRon to clean up.) Every once in a while we get trouble-makers from other medical sites, too. They're super easy to detect though.

We have the private access areas private for a reason! Also, we're getting ready to add some new areas- right now we're playing with names and fine-tuning the issues. We're thinking of adding journey specific places- like a place for the pre-meds, the M1-4, the Interns/Residents/Fellows and then the staff docs.

All have unique issues and we are hoping that it would be helpful to have places where you can discuss your issues among peers. (of course, posting to the general content areas gets responses from the universe!)

Generally speaking, people have been great about respecting the topics and posts and the anonymity that we require. Some of us have spouses in fields where even if we just post what they do, it'll be pretty easy to figure out who they are and what they do. (which is why I'm pretty much out there with our info- there aren't too many Child Neurologists in the Army...you can count them on two hands) However, we're thinking about making the new areas even more private so that people can feel free to discuss the real nitty-gritty issues with peers. (like contracts and salaries, cheaters (tests/marital and otherwise), discrimination issues (you name it we've heard about it), pay disputes, etc.)

Jenn

Comment

Nellie and Kris, I was not complaining about any down time. I was simply thinking about the huge financial burden that this site must be. It's so generous of you to maintain this community. As for the assistance I mentioned in the first post, unfortunately I am not all that technically inclined so I was mainly thinking of financial assistance. I don't mean to offend anyone. Maybe there are enough financial resources but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Jenn, the new plans for the forum sound wonderful. I completely agree with you on the need for more privacy. I was looking through the MDFamily magazine the other day and even the anonymous articles are not so anonymous anymore after reading several articles and the forum for some time.
          Cristina
          IM PGY-2

Comment

Cristina-

I'm so very sure that they know you weren't complaining.

We've debated having a registration fee for years, also but have avoided it as much as possible because we know that the early years of the medical journey are VERY lean for a lot of people. We do ask that people subscribe to the magazine. Back when we used to send out paper versions of the newletter we asked people to donate to cover printing costs and postage.

Any help at any time is always welcome. and Angie and Kris are always looking for contributers to the magazine.

Jenn

Comment

Cristina,

I'm not offended by ANY stretch.

kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Admins / Kris -

I really like the new forum ideas. I wasn't entirely kidding about the "celeb gossip" addition to the Psych Ward, either (although your ideas are far more productive and supportive - mine is just kitschy). Sometimes we end up sticking things in debates that are there ONLY b/c they might ruffle someone's feather's down the line.

As always, thanks for all you do.

Comment

Working...
                X