Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

third year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• third year

Well, we survived the first two years of school, and the Boards part 1. What do I have to "look forward to" in year 3, the rounds and all? Any ideas?

Hi Robert,

My wife just finished her third year last friday. I would say that there's a big difference between the pre-clinical and clinical years. Depending on how your wife's school schedules rotations, she could be away from home for a 6 - 8 weeks at a time. My wife had several away rotations (in her case > 4hours away from home).

For the first two years, my wife was a "home" studier for the most part, so although she was studying she was nearby. Third year means nights on call, weekends on call, etc. Overall, my wife really enjoyed the clinical rotations.

She just finished up with surgery and was quite tired through that -- call, early mornings, etc. So, in the evenings that she was home she was either studying or sleeping.

Now, the stress is ratcheting up because she enjoyed so many different things that the specialty choice is bearing down on her -- enjoyed surgery, ob/gyn, peds critical care, etc. etc. So, the impending decision is somewhat of a dark cloud as there doesn't seem to be a perfect choice that won't come with many trade-offs and the clock is ticking.

Comment

Thanks for the info, although it's my male partner and not my wife!

All of his postings are local, as we are in Boston, home of a zillion medical facilities, so he can take the subway to most all of them. If its primarily a 8-5 thing, I can survive it easily!

Comment

Robert,

Well, sounds like he won't be physically at a different site but with several rotations he will have lots of days that aren't 9 - 5 pm at all. Basically, it's easier for me to think of the rotations that were largely nine to five than the many that weren't. Essentially, outpatient family medicine and outpatient peds are the only two that come to mind that were basically 9 - 5 pm. And when I say 9 -5 for those I mean that he could likely leave the clinic or office at 5 pm.

But, depending on his study style / goals for the shelf exams, he may be reading every night. Shelf exams are standardized tests that are given at the end of each rotation. Basically, each student is on his/her own to do what they need to do to feel prepared for the shelfs -- e.g. they choose the books, flashcards, method of study that they think will best prepare them with little or no formal guidance about what may show up on the exam or how much they should study. In addition, to work up and follow his patients from day to day and present to his attendings even in the outpatient settings, he may be reading journal articles / books for that purpose.

Comment

Robert,

I loved 3rd year. That was also the year we started dating. It was generally 8-5, with an occasional weekend day. SO would spend time studying/reading at the library after work and be home before 7 each night. Usually in time to have dinner with me. Now, that's a once-a-week occurence (he's a PGY-3). Surgery rotations were the only tough ones that didn't fit into the average workday timeframe, but there was no call until 4th year.

I agree with what Kevin mentioned about study/reading habits and the exams after each rotation. If he can keep up with his reading and stay on top of having material for each rotation, you guys will both be in good shape.

We're also in a city with elleventybillion hospitals, so away rotations just meant a different subway line/stop. He did elect to do a 4-week Peds rotation his 4th year in bumf*ck, PA. It kind of sucked, but he was able to get back and visit and I went up there too. We went to a drive in, it was really rural. I felt like a Fresh Air Fund kid. It was a hospital pretty well known (and funded) for its Ped program though, so it looked good on his CV.

Enjoy MS-3. It's good.

Comment

My husband just finished 3rd year and I must say, looking back, it wasn't as bad as I feared. That's not how I always felt, though. His very first day of 3rd year he was on-call. His first rotation was internal medicine and he was the lucky one to have call that very first day. Boy was I in for a rude awakening. Here, I was so accustomed to having him home all the time since he had been off, studying for Step 1 for over a month. We were so used to being home in the evenings, eating dinner, and going to sleep together, and now BAMN! he's on-call until 10 or 11 and will be every 4th day! Needless to say I had some adjusting to do. He was fine...he loved his clinicals, working hands on with patients and being able to apply all of that knowledge they crammed into him the past two years. I on the other hand felt like I had just lost my husband as I knew him. I felt lonely, rejected, dependent and just plain depressed. I questioned whether I was really cut out to endure these long years ahead. Don't get me wrong, I fully supported DH but I never really thought about what it would be like for me. So, that's when I sought out for a support group, knowing full well I was not the only one in this world going through this and VOILA I found this site. I don't post too often, but it is always nice to come and read how everyone else is surviving. :L

Sorry, I went on a tangent. Anywho...what I was trying to say was, in the beginning there may be some adjusting to do, but once you both get used to his new schedule (and understand that it is forever changing) then you'll be prepared for the unpredicatability. As strange as that sounds, its true. Just beware of surgery. That was the toughest by far.

Good luck and welcome!!

Comment

We met during third year so clearly it wasn't too awful- he had time to go out. He was around for a few rotations (military hospitals) but on purpose scheduled a lot of rotations during third and fourth year at as many "outside" facilities as he could. (military and civilian) Surgery was the worst of the rotations- partially because he's NOT a morning person and partially because he had just returned from Hawaii and really still wanted to be there (don't blame him though).

I can't speak to all of third year but the half that I experienced was great. (and because we were young and in love and both gainfully employed, I visited all of the locations over the 14 months we dated except for Hawaii which was really fun)

Good luck to you both!

Jenn

Comment

Working...
              X