Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Ode to Ikea!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ode to Ikea!

I just have to say it...I love Ikea! Let this be the beginning of a new Ikea thread. I know it can't hope to compete with the dyson threads or sueanne's famous "TomCat" thread, but....if you shop Ikea....post here. If not...we'll try and be respectful of your feelings too :>

We haven't been in Ikea since leaving Germany and yesterday we spent almost 2 hours there...but could have browsed all day! We found soooo much that we just "have to have". Thomas and I were like kids in a candy shop. We got out the paper/pencils and wrote down thousands of dollars worth of stuff ... of course, we ended up leaving with 12 dishes (.79 cents each), 5 bowls (.59 cents each) 12 cups for 5.99 and two glass pitchers that were 2.99 each. I was so happy! Man am I cheap!!!

We have decided that we MUST go back sans children and pick out stuff for our family room....

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I have heard one is supposed to open up near us which is better than the alternative of a 3 hour drive....I think.

Comment

I'm onboard with this one! Love IKEA! I pretty much only go every time I move, though, because each new apartment seems to need its own configuration of little shelves and frames and whatnot.

We're going on Saturday to get a second desk (Mikael) (apparently we need a his-and-hers), a stand to go next to our refrigerator (vika furusund), some picture frames, and possibly some roman blinds. And whatever else we can't live without.

Heirloom quality? No. Love it for now? Yes!
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I love IKEA as well, but I haven't been to our "local" one. It's in Pittsburgh, so it's a bit of a drive. I may get up to it soon. I do know some moms that drop the kids at school, book it down to Pittsburgh, hit IKEA, and get back by pick up at 3 PM. I need that kind of shopping energy.

When we were in Boston, there was this big debate about the IKEA opening in the area. It was going to open in Somerville and "ruin" the neighborhood. I couldn't understand the angst. It's IKEA, people!! You gotta love those big BLUE box stores.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Angie..that's amazing about the mom's IKEA runs! You can buy stuff online though, can't you?

Some of the stuff really isn't 'top quality' that's true...but we bought some expensive sofas at Slumberland (OK, maybe they don't make heirloom stuff, but it isn't cheap) and after 3 years, the sofa/loveseat are just not...nice..anymore. They don't hold up to such a big family of people, I guess...and our kids have ruined the coffee table. It might just be better to buy diff transitional pieces for diff. times in our lives I think.

Comment

I LOVE Ikea. I furnished my first apartment with Ikea pieces, except the sofa. Everything in there was Ikea and I loved it. Of course, it helped that my dad is very handy and he put everything together for me. I'd post pictures but the only ones I have are from the week I moved in and it all looks so plain and it lacks personality.

Kris, did you eat at Ikea? Their food isn't bad at all and you can't beat the price. They are also dead on with the portion sizes.
            Cristina
            IM PGY-2

Comment

*cough* I'm a bit bitter at IKEA right now.

Something about having it 0.7 miles away was an irresistable lure when we were setting up house...we went three times in total.

We didn't go *too* crazy but we could have comparison-shopped for secondhand stuff a *little* more.

So yeah, I blame IKEA for our credit card carrying a balance for the first time in many years.

But holy cow did we have a lot of fun with the item names! My chair is currently rolling on the Kolon, and the Flarke is sitting beside me. We have yet to eat a meal on Jokkmokk, but Lillberg has gotten a lot of use!
              Alison

Comment

Originally posted by MissCrabette
                Their food isn't bad at all and you can't beat the price. They are also dead on with the portion sizes.
                I'm not sure how aware my husband is that they also sell furniture. I suggested we go to IKEA on Saturday and his response was, "I'm getting the meatballs."

Also I'm sure we will come home with lingonberries.
                Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

LOVE, love, love IKEA! Let's see what in my house is from IKEA...master bed headboard/footboard, dresser, DH's desk, my desk, buffet, DVD shelves, garage storage (they were closets when we lived in CA but we have no room for them in the house here), several book shelves, I'm sure there are more.

When we lived in CA we were very close to two and visited WAY too often. Now the closest one is in Bloomington, we've made a few trips!
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

loved it when I lived in Cleveland! I would make the 2 hour haul to Pittsburgh at a moment's notice.

The closest one to us now is Chicago, so I don't think I'll be shopping there anytime soon.

Comment

I love Ikea, but no longer live near one. I could wander around that store for hours. Oh, how I miss Ikea and TJs!

Their furniture can be a bear to put together, though. My old company got all of their furniture from Ikea and I remember having to hire someone to put the desks together.

Comment

I have never lived close to one, so I have never been. Yes, you may all pity me now. One just opened in Atlanta which is 3-4 hours from me. I will have to go one of these days.

I have also never been to a Trader Joes. Again, you may pity me. I think the closet Trader Joe's to me is probably 6-8 hours away in Virginia. No idea.

I have never vacuumed with a Dyson.

I love to cook and my stand mixer is a cheap 10-year-old Sunbeam instead of the Kitchenaid professional that I covet.

I just bought my last piece of furniture to hold DVDs from Walmart for $25.

Yes, I am a super cool dawkter's wife.

Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
                          I suggested we go to IKEA on Saturday and his response was, "I'm getting the meatballs."
                          Mmm, Ikea meatballs. We love them so much that we buy the big bags of frozen meatballs to cook at home. :yum:
                          Cristina
                          IM PGY-2

Comment

The PA store is in Conshohocken, PA.

Conshohocken?

Comment

Oooh. Can't resist posting since we go to IKEA for fun. We go early, have breakfast for $1, play in the store, then dh plays in the kidsitting room for an hour, we have lunch, watch a movie, play some more and come home. The boys think IKEA is a fun park on par with Disney World. My two year old will even ask me, "Let's go IKEA t'day, 'k?"

Um, other than the $29 Varde wall shelf we haven't made many purchases. The Fjallnas sideboard matches the wall shelf beautifully so I have every hope of getting that home some day.

Comment

Working...
                              X