Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How is your home decorated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is your home decorated?

Contemporary, traditional, Pottery Barn, Room and Board, theme....etc.

We're moving in a week and we're trying to decide whether to completely revamp our home decor. Right now, we've got mainly blonde wood/Ikea furniture, a primary color scheme, lots of modern art prints on the walls. But maybe we could go with another look.....though I'm still very much into the contemporary look--modern lines, etc. I love Danish-inspired furniture as well.

Who has more of a say in the interior design--you or your sig other? Does your sig other enjoy interior design?

When I first met my DH, when he was in med school, his apartment was the typical bachelor pad. I always laugh about it because he had....2 knickknacks in the entire place. He had a bright green couch.....the place was quite the sight to see.

But after I showed DH how much fun interior decorating can be, he loves it now. We shop together for furniture, accessories, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Momof4
      We like early Playskool with some Victorian accents 8)
      You're not kidding! Our house has superhero overtones, too. I've often said I never thought I'd be decorating my house in bright red, yellow & blue.

Comment

Right now it's Target lawn furniture with lovely blow up mattresses.

We are eclectic. If it's funky, wierd, different, old, new, whatever- we have it. We have a ton of family heirlooms, some really modern stuff we've added and some ugly PX furniture that will be replaced next. We are NOT afraid of using color so I've had some funky colored walls in my lifetime.

Nikolai has his own room and his stuff is pretty well contained in there. I refuse to do permanent foot damage by stepping on legos at 3am. That and he's so OCD that he prefers to put his toys away when he's done with them (again, thank you babushkas!)

Jenn

Comment

Ikea, Target, a deco wardrobe, and a handful of real mid-century stuff to compliment the knock offs.

Comment

I like to call our current look the free handme down, college look.

I like some things out of Pottery Barn. I am more of a minimalist, and like clean classic lines, nothing frilly or too much pattern. I am a solids kind of girl. If I do want pattern, it better be simple, and not busy. At the same time, I like more traditional than modern.

Crystal
            Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Shabby-chic. I like the Anthropologie furnishings and would love it if my little house looked like the pages in their catalogue, sans the peeling paint on the wall (I guess I like chic more than shabby). I like old world charm. West Elm has a modern look I can get on board with, but it doesn't fit in with all the other stuff I have. Currently searching for a ceiling chandelier for my bedroom. That doesn't cost $4,000.

Comment

Originally posted by dayisme
                Currently searching for a ceiling chandelier for my bedroom. That doesn't cost $4,000.
                Try Ballard Designs. They have some cool light fixtures -- some are reasonably priced.

Comment

Contemporary European Traditional? Does that even make sense?

We had the yard sale yesterday (I'm exhausted!) and so now my decor is minimalist because all I have is my Ikea computer table, an oak chair, and a bedroom set!

But I'm looking to buy all new stuff for the new apartment! I love colors, big graphic patterns, and unique accessories, so let me know if you guys find anything great!

Comment

My style most closely matches Pottery Barn. I like to flip through their catalogs for decorating ideas. I love natural elements. Jenn...have you ordered anything from Ballard Designs? I wanted to order a bench for our entryway from them, but I didn't know if their stuff was high quality or not.

Comment

I have not, but my friend in Chicago has, and I don't think she's had any complaints.

Comment

Our house is still a mix of hand me downs, IKEA, and what I would call traditional furnishings. Someday my house is going to look like the Pottery Barn catalog, that is my goal! 8)
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Hmmm...as with Tara we have something of a Playskool meets grad school look currently. It isn't exactly my style, but I have a feeling we'll be living with it for a while.

Comment

Birch-veneer IKEA, ebay and BBB accessories. For real furniture my current favorites are West Elm and the Doorstore, but we won't be shopping anywhere for at least another year if not more. In order to make our IKEA stuff more presentable I was thinking of staining it espresso when we move (and have outdoor space for the project).

Comment

75% Ikea, some pieces from Crate and Barrel and Pottery Barn. Dh likes Pottery Barn, but I prefer the more modern things from Crate and Barrel, Room & Board. If I could I'd get some Le Corbusier and Van der Rohe, but dh tells me his wants to LIVE in his livingroom and not have these uncomfortable-looking chairs and glass tables in it.

I wish we had enough room to get the tv out of our living room and into a cabinet somewhere else where it's not so visible--it's the focal point in the room and we just sit on the couch and veg in front of it.

If we had glass tables and things with out dust ruffles, where would I hide my loose socks?!
                              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Working...
                              X