Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Birthday's, are they a big deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've given up on birthdays for myself but I'm going to make them a big deal for my children. I have a summer birthday which as a kid sucks because you never get to celebrate as a kid with your friends. Our anniversary is July, my birthday is August and DH's birthday is September. This year I'm not going to say a word, not remind him, not bug him, and if he forgets then he can feel bad about it because I'm tired of him not remembering. As far as other people, friends, etc. I don't expect many to remember. I get a card from each sister and a gift from my parents and the ILs which is nice. Every once in a while I'll get a card from a friend but DH remembering is the one that is most important to me. Maybe in 5 years!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I confess that this year I forgot my husband's birthday. And so did he. I had asked him about a week beforehand what he wanted to do for his birthday, and he was going to think about it.

It was June 5, and I had just quit my job and we were kicking into high gear for packing and moving. We got up that morning, were chatting and everything, I got to work packing boxes, he was backing up computer files or something.

About 1:00 in the afternoon I hear very loud laughing coming from the bedroom. I go in there, "What's going on-- Oh, are you on the phone?" He says "Yes, it's my sister, calling to wish me a happy birthday!" I started llaughing, too. And his sister thought we were nuts.

We decided we'd better go out for dinner.

In general we have a hard time coordinating our funnest times with specific dates on the calendar. Like we'll have many perfect romantic evenings during the course of a year, but none of them will happen to fall on our anniversary, know what I mean? We're bad at it. Current philosophy is that as long as we're keeping up the fun and love on a regular basis, we're not going to sweat the red-letter days too much.
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Working...
      X