Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Crack the Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had never heard all of this before about chiropracters saying that they can cure everything else. I went because my back has been freaking killing me since last tuesday and I could feel it in my neck and behind my rib cage. I get frequent headaches as well which is the only thing the chiro tried to link, but I think that makes sense. When he told me there was funky stuff going on in my lower back, he said it could cause stronger menstrual cramping. I told him that I had surgery in November for Endometriosis and he came right out and said that they probably weren't related and realigning my back probably wouldn't help.

I really liked the fact that he showed my x-rays and EMG results and explained exactly what the difference was between my spine and a perfect one. He also explained that the exercises are to train my muscles and spine so that in the end, I won't need him at all.

I know it sounds like I'm really defending this guy, but having been to another chiro before, this guy really seems to have his stuff together and didn't try to push any supplements, diets, or miraculous sinus cures my way. I figure it's worth a shot for at least a little while because my insurance sure as hell won't cover a massage!

Comment

I might not have said it in my previous post, but I have found many but not all to be as I described. If it is helping your back and your insurance pays for it, go for it!

I think the headache thing makes sense too. Its when there are huge leaps and promises that make me suspicious.

Comment

I think this is a very interesting topic, and one that many MDs seem to have strong (often negative, it seems) feelings about. I went to a chiropractor about 7 years ago for a few problems--knee pain and shoulder pain. I also went to medical doctors about this but because my x-rays weren't showing any problems they said I was fine, though I still was having pain. The chiro basically told me I had a lot of scar tissue in my knee area and worked on breaking that up, and it worked wonderfully. Same with the shoulder. I must say that I did not enjoy the adjustments--when they make your neck, back etc. "crack"--but I thought that their deep tissue work was extremely helpful. I would definitely see a chiro again for another similar problem though I wouldn't go for routine maintenance care. I also did a lot of research on them before making my first appointment.

Comment

Why not go to a DO and have them perform the osteopathic manipulations? Aren't these similar to chiro but from a better trained doctor?
          Husband of an amazing female physician!

Comment

Originally posted by Laker
            Why not go to a DO and have them perform the osteopathic manipulations? Aren't these similar to chiro but from a better trained doctor?
            I have always wondered what OMT is all about. Is it just more of a holistic approach or is actual manipulations? Anyone know or had it done?
            Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
            Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

DH is a DO and has used OMT on me for years. I have been to a chiropractor before and have gotten some relief for my hips and back. I don't use them on a regular basis, but see how short-term relief is possible. I know some people who swear by them and go religiously. If that works for them, that is great.
              Needs

Comment

Working...
              X