Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

**HELP**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **HELP**

Dh just informed me that we are attending a party at the dept. chairs house in August. It is an indoor/outdoor party and the kids are welcomed. Okay...so what does one (fat) person wear to something like this....there is also boating available. (this (fat) girl wont be getting in a bathing suit) but what is appropriate wear for something like this?

OMG, Im so suddenly nervous. :!
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Relax. What about crop pants and a nice top? You will be fine. You will also be so busy running around after your kids that you won't be nervous once you are there......and you are bound to meet other spouses with similar concerns!

I remember feeling the same at a similar occasion, held at a huge, old general's quarters (really a mansion, tbh) in San Antonio. DH's program director (who was an ass, and was replaced soon after) decided to have his FIRST meeting with the incoming ob/gyn interns at this picnic. (The picnic was for ALL of the incoming interns at the military hospital......a huge gathering.) My son (I only had one at that point, and he was VERY two) got away from me, and since DH's intern class was blocking the main walkway due to the impromptu "meeting", I had to take the long way around to where I thought my son had gone. DH saw my panic and disengaged to help me. We couldn't see our son anywhere , so we gulped and started up the steps to the general's mansion. Just about that time, we could see through the grand double door entrance that our son was coming down the sweeping circular staircase of the general's home, carrying a *branch*. Not a stick. A branch. As long as he was tall. DH scooped him up, and we ditched the branch. We went to say our goodbyes, and as we thanked the general and his wife, DS climbed onto the general and kissed him several times on his face. (He did look sort of like my FIL, and DS adores his grandpa.) We got the heck out of there, but we have always wondered how much damage DS did upstairs with the branch.......

Keep your eyes on your kids and you'll be fine!!!!

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Don't stress. I'm sure it will be a fun, casual gathering. I'd wear something summery and casual. Don't worry at all.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much. It sounds like a nice casual gathering, especially since kids are welcome. You should probably wear something comfortable so you can run after the kids. I'm no Vishenka but I don't think cropped pants are flattering for us non-supermodel people. I'd probably go with a light summery dress, something like this:

OK, so the color is not quite right but you get the idea.
        Cristina
        IM PGY-2

Comment

I agree with the others--my dh's dept. has the same sort of deal every summer and I panicked the first year, too. It was with the department he was applying to do a fellowship with and I wanted to make a good impression. Capris or a cute skirt, something casual and comfortable should fit the bill.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

[Insert snotty know-it-all tone] Now that I'm home and have TV....I saw on Opera that *no one* should wear cropped pants or capris....

It was the ladies from "What not to wear" or whatever...

Anyway, they put everyone in a skirt or a dress. But damn did those people look better in the afters....

I vote for a summery dress....or a skirt. But most definitely something comfortable.

And nobody should force you to get on a boat.
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

and really, as we all know it's all about the Dawkters anyway...

seriously though, we got dragged to the General's house a few years after Sally and her husband and I was a wreck. and then we got there and I realized that there were about 100 other spouses who were just as wierded out about the situation, too.

Go with the summery dress. Target has some cute things as I recall.

Jenn

Comment

Nordstrom is having a sale right now. I like it there because if you can find someone who works there whose style you like (look at what she's wearing), you can say what event you're dressing for and they can help you pick stuff that may work. They've got things for all shapes and sizes and you can sit there and have them bring things to your dressingroom.

It may be out of your budget, but if you're looking for separates or single pieces (like dresses) that you can use again for something else, I've found it's worth it.

Vishenka?!?! Where are you?
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I vote for Nordstrom as well. You really just can't beat their service! I like the summery dress as well. Go with a nice summery color that will flatter your hair/eye color and probably a V neck because it'll elongate your top half.

Comment

Thanks for the replys sofar. Im so hesitant to wear a dress. I have a hard time finding one that looks good over my hips and bootie. Maybe the v-neck thing is a good idea. I have boobs.....the only thing going for me .....I can elongate my body. :>

I have so many capris....love them. Why are they such a mortal sin? And more importantly why do the clothing companies make them if they're so bad?

You know what, I forgot to share. I nominated myself and a friend for TLC's What not to wear. Im still waiting for that call....of course it has only been a few weeks..........

Jenn, Sally...I would so die if I had to go to THE Generals mansion. Great story, Sally!!!!

Comment

A-line skirts/dresses are the way to go, probably cut just below or at the knee, but not longer or shorter. (this coming from a girl with an enormous booty/hips and a small upper, so i'm used to trying to make the balance).

I have so many capris....love them. Why are they such a mortal sin? And more importantly why do the clothing companies make them if they're so bad?
                      They still make acid wash tapered jeans somewhere too, but what can we do?

PS - You will probably want to go with a more structured fabric as well like linen or cotton. Slinky fabrics do not go well with my butt (TMI).

Comment

Every story is having a summer clearance sale right now, so it's perfect time to go shopping. I love Stacey from What Not To Wear but I still don't get what's wrong with capris. Granted they have to fit right and not everyone looks good in them.

I agree with suggestion of a dress, especially one with a higher waist and a non-clingy material. Let me know if you'd like any specific suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by stellava
                          They still make acid wash tapered jeans somewhere too, but what can we do?

We can only solve so many world problems at a time.

Comment

Thanks Vishenka and StellaVa...If you could post some pictures of this A-line "thing" that would be great.

Another question...while Im all for wearing things that one may feel comfortable and proud to wear...WHY for the love of "gawd" do larger clothing designers make backless/strapless/skimpy/sheer stuff a sized 0 model should only be wearing????

Comment

Capris make my legs look short and my ankles thick. Not good for short people.

Boot cut jeans/slacks make me look really short and my caboose huge, but then I wouldn't wear the tapered jeans either. Sigh. I just can't find any good jeans for my body... But really, who can buy the perfect pair off the rack?
                              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Working...
                              X