Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

New Resident SOs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Resident SOs

So are there any SOs just starting residency ?

It feels like it was yesterday, or a thousand years ago, but SO just started PGY-3. We got off to a rough start, but have found our groove. I wish I'd found this site when things were starting. You're in good company here.

Comment

My husband is finishing his fifth week of PGY-1, his third of actually practicing medicine as a resident!
      Alison

Comment

DH just finished his first week as a PGY-1 in IM. He started with night float, which seems to be okay because he doesn't need alot of sleep.

Comment

Russ is a PGY-1 doing an IM prelim before Ophtho.
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

DH is PGY1 General Surgery. PGY2-5 will be in Urology.
            Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
            Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

dh is PGY1 ob/gyn
              ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

My husband just started residency. Next week he finishes his first rotation.
                Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

So how is everyone surviving so far ?

Comment

Not much to survive. Our program does the first block really easy, they pull every EM resident into the ED and with all that manpower they can give them limited shifts (and require very little of the interns as far as the patient load they carry) so DH has only 11 shifts all month. However, he's got required lectures about 3 days per week, and he's planning his research project already, and he has some airway course to study for, and he has to do a couple ambulance ride-alongs -- yesterday he did one, 9am to 9pm. He's got today completely off, whoo!

Next month is Ortho, with every weekend free!

So, yeah, nothing too earth-shattering here.
                    Alison

Comment

Ummm...it's GS. So, I think he is doing okay...but I really don't see him... DH is a bit of a gunner, so he tends to stay longer, go back in after he has left, etc. Example: He went in yesterday morning at 5am, got home around 7pm. Went back in at 10pm (patient was bleeding out, he knew if he went back he would get to scrub in He was not on call. ) Got home around 2am, then went back at 6am this morning. It is now 4pm and I haven't heard a peep from him.

I'm "fine" with it, but our youngest daughter is not. I think they will do better when school is in session.
                      Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
                      Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

DH is repeating intern year, but this time in EM. How is it? Where's the fireworks emoticon?? Actual time in the hospital is limited, two whole days off each week, no call (ED months), journal club that is a family affair (kids and spouses invited) once each month, switching shifts allowed (ED months), shedule for the year given out before July 1...not even one month in and I am SOLD! I love it. Even though compared to most "normal" couples/families dh still works a lot and has an unpredictable schedule, compared to what we did last year this is a cakewalk. It seems like he's around SO much. I find it hard to clam up when I hear complaing about THIS schedule. I guess everything is relative. Dh was always happy in the hospital, but he says time goes by the fastest in the ED. He goes in and BAM! it is already time to go home. He's very happy. I'm very happy. The kids can't wait until they get to see him on "dada's helicopter."

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog
                          Not much to survive. Our program does the first block really easy, they pull every EM resident into the ED and with all that manpower they can give them limited shifts (and require very little of the interns as far as the patient load they carry) so DH has only 11 shifts all month. However, he's got required lectures about 3 days per week, and he's planning his research project already, and he has some airway course to study for, and he has to do a couple ambulance ride-alongs -- yesterday he did one, 9am to 9pm. He's got today completely off, whoo!

Next month is Ortho, with every weekend free!

So, yeah, nothing too earth-shattering here.
                          Our DHs must be on the same track, different hospitals. Mine has Ortho next month too. His first few and last few months of this intern year are pretty light, but the winter will be tough. I'm in no position to complain, I've talked to enough of my friends from med school who have husbands in programs that are much more difficult. So far, residency feels like fourth year of med school. But I know that will change soon enough, so I'm enjoying it while I can.

Comment

We're doing OK. It'd be better if I could figure out what to do with myself all day when he's gone...and if I could get used to sleeping alone when he's on-call.

Russ is at the VA this month which is q4 call. But overall not that bad. He gets home at a decent hour in the evenings...always for dinner.

Next month he is on Pulm (not at the VA) and doesn't have to go in on the weekends! I think he may even have home-call or no-call. Woo Hoo!!
                            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
                            X