Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

My son, the doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My son, the doctor

Who here chuckles everytime they show that drug commercial in which a lady proudly informs us that her son, "the doctor" told her about some medication? Does she not remind you of your (future) MILs? :raises hand: :>
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

We went to visit my grandmother at her old people's home thinging....and she introduced Russ to everyone as "the doctor"...except at that point I was the one with the degree and he didn't have his yet. It was really annoying!
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Oh and at his graduation....his mom said "The first *lastname* doctor." And Russ reminded her that I was a *lastname* doctor first...she said "Well your the first real doctor." Grr.....
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

MIL is totally all about "my son, The Doctor." I suspect she still thinks that I'm after his money (not sure what money she's referring to, may be loans).

Comment

Oh, I'm positive my MIL introduces her son that way, which reminds me - I still owe you guys the MIL story from when the site was down...
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheri
            I still owe you guys the MIL story from when the site was down...
            And you were going to tell us about moving forward with fertility treatments. (Not that you still have to share if you don't want to.)
            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I can do that Julie - I trust you guys, and its nice to have people to bounce things off of.

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
                My MIL, aka The Goiter, told me during a 1.5 hour tirade on Memorial day Weekend that she had wondered what her son "was doing with me" (we've been married almost 10 years now) since I told her I didn't think I wanted kids. After telling me things like this for over an hour, she told me she was upset that we weren't friends. If I suck so hard, why do you want to be my BFF?!
                I think we have the same MIL!

Comment

Heh, well, in our case it is MIL that is after her son's money. She makes it very clear that she thinks he'll be rolling in dough someday and supporting her.

Comment

Originally posted by medwife517
                    I swear my mil thinks the same thing. But we will not discuss her in length at the moment.. smoke is still coming out of my ears over our converstation last night.
                    Feel free to share in the call room when you're ready.
                    Cristina
                    IM PGY-2

Comment

Originally posted by Michele
                      Oh and at his graduation....his mom said "The first *lastname* doctor." And Russ reminded her that I was a *lastname* doctor first...she said "Well your the first real doctor." Grr.....
                      :!

Comment

What is it with Mothers in Law?!
                        I totally read this as "What is it with Monsters in Law?!"

Comment

Sadly, it's MY mother (and her husband) who always refers to DH as the doctor. I find it really annoying. She always thinks he should be addressed as "Dr." and also feels that he should mention that he's a doctor in all situations. She feels doctors get special attention. DH & I both feel it would be appropriate in professional situations, but not in social/other situations? I mean, what point would it be to mention that he's a doctor when we're at the mall shopiing? Give me a break. But, she also refers to herself as Dr. because she's an Ed.D. and refers to her husband as Dr. because he's a dentist. It really drives me insane!

Now, it's unclear how DH's mother truly feels about his career. She never seems to show any sort of excitement.

Comment

Maybe she thinks that doctors get free coffee, like cops?
                            Wouldn't that be great?

Comment

Ok, I am a lone voice here . . . but I adore my MIL and have for the past 10 years. She is like a second parent to me. Perhaps part of it is that she never refers to her son as the doctor, not even when introducing him to her university department at her retirement party! That is just not the part of him that interests her - - its the son part. Both of dh's parents are generally way more interested in my career because it has more overlap with their professional work.

In our families, doctor status is no big deal . . that is often the case in families where virtually everyone has a graduate degree or when you live on the east coast/big five metro area. Neither DH nor I ever use professional titles in any capacity but professional - - including our checks, credit cards, etc. Its always struck me that people that do that are trying a bit too hard AND in the financial world doctor generally equals sucker, so I think there is no need to advertise!

Comment

Working...
                              X