Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Michele - vet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michele - vet question

Last time I tried to research what I thought was a big problem online, I totally got freaked out and the vet thought I was nuts. So this time I decided to go directly to the vet. Hope you don't mind.

I think our cat has dandruff, at least that's what it looks like. I can't seem to wash it off or brush it out, it always comes back. Do cats get dandruff and are there some sort of dandruff shampoos for cats? I didn't change her food or treats or litter recently, so I don't think it could be reaction to that. But I did recently got some surface cleaners with bleach in them, so I was wondering if that could be it. She's not bothered by the dandruff at all, doesn't scratch or lick more than usual, so I'm not sure this requires an expensive vet visit (my last freak out cost $150).

Thanks.

How old is your cat? Any other health problems? Does your cat groom regularly? Is your cat indoor only? Is your cat on flea prevention regularly?

Sorry for the twenty questions, but it'll help me out.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

No problem, thanks for helping out. Firka just turned 6, she doesn't have any health problem and she is a strictly indoor cat (always has been). She has no contact with other animals (I'm assuming flies, mosquitos and such don't count). She never had fleas. Last time we took her to the vet about 2.5 years ago to update her shots. She was fine and we were told that she doesn't need to see a vet for about 3 years unless there's a problem.

DH just said "What's this white stuff on the cat?" He usually never notices anything.

Comment

A few more questions!

Where are you seeing the dandruff? Back, belly, sides, face, neck, legs, tail?
        If you part the fur, what does the skin underneath look like? Dry, normal, red, small pimples/red bumps, greasy?
        Did it start gradually? When did you first notice it? Anything make it better or worse? Has this ever happened before?
        Appetite increase/decrease recently? Activity increase/decrease?
        Do you see her groom/clean herself? How often/day?
        Eventhough you don't see any fleas, is she on Revolution, Advantage or Frontline?
        If you lightly scratch her back, near her tail, does she seem to really like it...like it's itchy??

A couple of thoughts...
        Dandruff, crusts, scales...are secondary lesions...meaning something else is going on with her skin first and then you see the dandruff. If she is grooming less than normal, you'll also see it build up. In young cats, it usually is due to a parasite/dermatophyte...fleas, mites, lice, ringworm etc....or an allergy...to the parasite, environment, food, drug. In older cats, we start to include things like autoimmune diseases (like pemphigus), endocrine diseases (like hyperthyroidism), and cancers.

Flea allergy is probably one of the most common skin conditions and one of the hardest to explain to owners. Flea allergic animals RARELY have fleas and so owners have a hard time believing it's the cause. But it only takes one little bite to set off the allergy...kinda like a person with a peanut allergy...it only takes a little bit of peanut to make the reaction. Flea allergic animals are usually really good groomers too...so as soon as the flea bites, they quickly eat it or groom it off....so the owners and vets don't see the flea or even flea dirt sometimes. It can be frustrating to treat as well...especially in cats because the true flea REPELLANTS are toxic to cats...if you don't have an indoor/outdoor animal it makes it easier. Advantage is my first choice for flea allergic cats...but it won't repel the fleas, so cleaning the house and bedding and such is really important too.

6 is considered young for a cat...but not out of the range for things like hyperthyroidism. Depending on the rest of the history, I would probably consider a trial of Revolution (topical anti-flea/heartworm/tick/mite) first, and then consider further testing. Revolution can be a bit pricey because it works on a lot of different parasites (internal and external) and it's fairly easy to use...you just put the liquid on the skin between the shoulder blades once a month. A lime sulfur dip may also be beneficial though it might be something you have the vet do...you can do it at home, but we recommend doing outside or in a very well ventilated room....the dip will stain clothing, alter gold and other jewelry, and can give some people very bad headaches. But it's great for pet skin! It is really good at relieving the itch and it has some anti yeast, some anti bacterial and some anti-ringworm properties. If those don't help show improvement, the vet could look for evidence of bacterial, yeast or ringworm infection, as well as systemic diseases (like hyperthyroidism).

Don't use any tar shampoos on your kitty because they can be toxic to cats. Until you have evidence of bacteria or yeast etc, I'd probably stick with a gentle shampoo to prevent overdrying of the skin. Most of the baby shampoos are very gentle and safe...and will allow you to work a good lather to loosen the crusts/scales....and don't sting the eyes.

I hope some of this helps...please answer the rest of the questions though incase I find something else, or think of something else. Baby shampoo and Revolution shouldn't hurt any of the conditions....but they may not be totally effective. And read the directions about when to apply the Revolution in regards to bathing...and I probably wouldn't bathe your cat more often than every two weeks.
        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Wow, that was really long and informative. Hopefully it wasn't too much work for you.

The dandruff is only on her lowerback and the skin doesn't look any differently than usual. It's not dry, oily and there are no bumps, redness or pimples. I haven't noticed any difference in her behavior, she's still pretty active and grooms as usual. I keep brushing her about once a day, which she always liked. I wouldn't say that she prefers extra brushing in the dandruff area, she definitely doesn't rub it as if it itches. Still prefers her head and tummy rubbed instead. She eats same as always. One of the reasons that I'm not freaked out yet is that this doesn't seem to bother or affect her at all. I first noticed the dandruff over the weekend and first though that it's dust from under the bed or something (hence vent about cleaning woman ). But when it wouldn't go away after washing and brushing, I got worried.

I'm curious as to where she could have picked up fleas from if she doesn't go outside of the apartment, has no contact with animals and didn't have fleas on our last vet visit. Should I take to her to the vet before starting flea medications just to make sure? If it's possible to pick up fleas while staying inside, I definitely want to know how so that she doesn't get them again from the same source.

Thanks for helping out.

Comment

I'd rule out fleas first. You, your hubby and the cleaning lady are her biggest source of fleas. You can carry a flea or two in on your pants or shoes/socks. Summer is the worst time of year for pet owners because there are fleas everywhere...at least in the US...especially with the heat waves...no area is safe. So even your normal route can have some fleas....also if the other apartment dwellers have pets, it's likely they are your long term source. It is virtually impossible to completely rid an outdoor area of fleas....except for things like deep frosts...which aren't happening for a little while. Fleas are frustrating because it seems that thier effect varies from year to year....why now? You know? But with a little time, they are fairly easy to rule out as the culprit...especially if the dandruff doesn't bother Firka.

Use either Revolution, Advantage or Frontline once every 3-4 weeks for two to three months...if it's fleas, you should see an improvement...if not, take her to get checked out. If it's not fleas and it's something like an infection or a systemic disease, it should get more obvious as the two months go on...and of course if anything changes, such as her eating habits or she becomes itchier or uncomfortable or anything that warrants re-evaluating the plan...a trip to the vet is indicated.

Hope that helps!

Oh and she doesn't need a vet check up before starting the Advantage, Frontline or Revolution unless your vet requires it or you think there's a reason she could be unhealthy....but you can usually only buy those products from the vet. I'd recommend the Revolution over the Advantage/Frontline if she was itchy (making sure to cover against other mites etc)...but since she's really not, the Advantage is fine (and cheaper). Advantage will wash off with bathing...some consider baby shampoo ok and that it won't wash off...but if you can avoid the baths when you use the Advantage, I'd recommend it. If you can't avoid baths, consider Frontline or Revolution.

Advantage - fleas
            Frontline - fleas and ticks
            Revolution - fleas, mites, heartworms, intestinal parasites
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Michele, thanks so much for your advice. Frontline is actually a bit cheaper at drustore.com so may be I'll try that first.

DH, the troll that he is, said yesterday "So I guess now you'll run to buy Firka some flea meds?"

Comment

The little girl is worth it!

One of my new friends here is having flea problems with her dog....she couldn't believe how much the stuff I use costs and how often I treat my pups...but if I don't they get a lot of infections from it...and I've never seen a single flea on either of them. Ever.....even when they were at their worst and infected.
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Have you noticed any change? It still might take a little longer, but anything??
                  Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Girl, dude, you ROCK. You have so much going on and you care enough to check back on the critters. If I get a pet will you be our vet?! :md:

Comment

Sure!
                      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Michele, I can't believe you remembered to check up on my cat with so much going on in your life. The shipment with her medication got lost in the mail and now I'm waiting for the replacement. It should have been here early this week but still hasn't arrived. The dandruff stuff seems to have gone away on it's own. But I still want to give her treatment just in case. We have tons of dogs in the building and when you said that any human can carry fleas on their clothes, I freaked out.

Comment

Vishenka, I now have two kittens, courtesy of my next door neighbor. She found a litter in the barn (she has horses) without a mom. The Vet said they are approx 5 weeks old (that was 2 weeks ago). They both had ear mites/fleas. They look pretty good now. Can anyone tell me how long before the earmites clear up. I have been putting drops in everyday and cleaning them with Qtips. They are really gross. My neighbor has two and I have two. I am going to keep them, because I don't want to separate the two I have. The dogs are adjusting. Franklin (part chiuaua part mini dachsund) thinks he is their mother and Winston (mini dachsund) thinks he might want to eat them. How early can I have them spayed/neutered? I do not want more kittens! Alot of questions I know, sorry.
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Vishenka - hopefully you get the shipment soon! Glad to hear it's resolving some though. Fleas are nasty buggers!

Though earmites might just be worse! Sorry Luanne. The ear mites should clear pretty quickly, within a couple of days....but the gunk in the ears will take longer to clear...probably a week or so of your diligent cleaning. Once it's cleared, it shouldn't come back....unless you let them outside and they can get reinfested....You've been at it 2 weeks? What medication are you using? Once they get to be 8 weeks old, I'd suggest Revolution, a topical treatment for fleas, heartworms, intestinal parasites and ear mites. It's been like a wonderdrug for cats.

I would spay/neuter the kittens when they get to be about 12 weeks or 4 pounds...whatever your vet is most comfortable with...the shelters will spay kittens as soon as they get to be 2 pounds!! They shouldn't be able to breed until about 6 months.

Kittens are fun!
                            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Wow, I still am amazed that you are on here Michele!!! But I'm glad. I'm using Tresaderm for the earmites. I used the Revolution already (at 7 weeks). I called the Vet and he will spay/neuter them at 12 weeks. They really are cute. The little girl is a calico and the little boy is white with black spots.
                              Luanne
                              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                              X